All Digital TV in 2009?

I found out I could still use my tube TV, but I still gotta pay for service for the cable to watch it in non-digital... It's one thing extra we would have to pay for monthly and it adds up fast.

It's not that we aren't for better technology, but the technology is too expensive for many people still. As for the people who don't have comps, they either have no use for them, or they are too old and just have no hope of turning them on, let along using them. How those people can drive a car, I don't know, since they can't press 1 of only about 3 buttons on the front of a computer to turn it on...

I think they should still have local channels for free without having to get a converter or anything like that. They suit me just fine, all my mom and dad watch is the news and we get the basic channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC...

oh, they'll still have the "antenna" channels lol. dont worry. its just that subscription channels will all be digital

all you need is a converter to make digital TV run on a tube tv, im pretty sure they can run you quite a bit of money though. its actually a good move IMO, we need to set some standards with all this tech mess going on, Blu ray\HD DVD, plasma\DLP\LCD, etc etc, same places we have to go one dimensional

also the date is Jan 1st i think

its mid february fyi. I've read 17th 19th and 29th, I think it is the 17th though

I think its great. we need to move forward with technology, and this is. they are issuing 2 coupons to every house for converter boxes that you can get them for $10 each I think (they are otherwise $50 or $60) we have 3 tvs that are analog, and one has an ATSC tuner, and we are probably gonna get at least one more with an ATSC tuner to replace the tubes.

Can you already get this digital stuff? And is it anything with local free channels? Or is it only for the subscription TV, like cable and dish.

oh, they'll still have the "antenna" channels lol. dont worry. its just that subscription channels will all be digital

No, they won't. All television airwaves will be transformed to digital airways. All over the air stations will require a digital tuner in the television. All analog televisions will go black.

Converters are cheap, if you need them.

No, they won't. All television airwaves will be transformed to digital airways. All over the air stations will require a digital tuner in the television. All analog televisions will go black.

Converters are cheap, if you need them.

can you please explain ATSC to me?

Not sure why you asked me, since I never mentioned it in my post. Here's a great answer towards your question.

Is my current television obsolete?
No. Analog television sets will continue to receive analog broadcasts at least through 2006 and possibly longer. After that, consumers will be able to hook up a set-top box to their existing TV to receive digital TV broadcast signals, but not in high-definition. Of course, current TV sets will continue to work with cable, satellite, VCRs, DVD players, and other devices for many years. For more information, please visit the

Back
Top Bottom