new hardware same OS

kostonbleeds

In Runtime
with my new hardware on the way theres something i need to know. if i use the same hard drive with everything on it and get the new mobo, cpu, mem, vid card will windows recognize that or will i have to reinstall everything?

I would recommend reinstalling Windows. It usually won't work properly otherwise.

However, you could do a repair using the XP disc. It has worked for me before, but results may vary, so take caution if you take that route.

Odds are it would become corrupt or mess up in some way, since it also has your old drivers loaded. It's best to install a fresh copy.

I'm in the same situation right now. What I was gonna do is plug everything in to see if it all works and if theres nothing wrong, I'm just gonna uninstall old drivers and reinstall new ones.

Odds are it would become corrupt or mess up in some way, since it also has your old drivers loaded. It's best to install a fresh copy.

by installing a fresh copy does that mean i lose everything...unless i back it up on the second harddrive? like will i have to reformat and everything? and will windows recognize that this is still my computer and allow me to activate it ( i have a retail version not oem)?

You should install a new copy of Windows. You will have to backup everything and erase the whole hard drive. I tried this once and Windows didn't even boot. I know I had a copy of Windows 98 on a hard drive once that I put on at least 5 different systems in it's life before I reformatted it, but Windows XP doesn't seem to work that way unfortunately. I'd rather just get a fresh install than have to mess with the restore trying to get it to work with a different system. It's really not that hard to do. Just remember to backup your files onto another hard drive, CD(s), or DVD(s) and you will be ok. It only takes like 2 hours at most to reinstall Windows, and then another little while to reinstall all your programs, but it's worth it.

yeah dont even bother tryin to "Repair" just do a fresh install. When u get new hardware everythings different especially when u got ALL new everything. and especially if u were on Intel and switched to AMD. Esc. Vise versa.

You should install a new copy of Windows. You will have to backup everything and erase the whole hard drive. I tried this once and Windows didn't even boot. I know I had a copy of Windows 98 on a hard drive once that I put on at least 5 different systems in it's life before I reformatted it, but Windows XP doesn't seem to work that way unfortunately. I'd rather just get a fresh install than have to mess with the restore trying to get it to work with a different system. It's really not that hard to do. Just remember to backup your files onto another hard drive, CD(s), or DVD(s) and you will be ok. It only takes like 2 hours at most to reinstall Windows, and then another little while to reinstall all your programs, but it's worth it.

ok cool cause i got nervous when i tried a test with my bros hdd (my old one) with my current setup because he's getting this when i get my new stuff and it wouldnt boot and i didnt know what to do. but i can just completely reformat his anyway cause nothing worthy is on it. i was thinking about giving him linux because he is using my xp and it obviously wont activate for two comps but im not sure how to use it fully and the thread on the site and another one still left me confused because im not sure what to download(which files how many of them) and i couldnt get it working

yeah dont even bother tryin to "Repair" just do a fresh install. When u get new hardware everythings different especially when u got ALL new everything. and especially if u were on Intel and switched to AMD. Esc. Vise versa.

well just a question still lingers, will windows activate for me with this whole new setup?

well just a question still lingers, will windows activate for me with this whole new setup?

It should unless you've activated it as many times as MS will let it be, then you can just call it in to get it activated the hard way, but it should be possible anyway you go about it.

Back
Top Bottom