I'm happy

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
This may belong in hardware but I'm putting it in here anyway just because it's an accomplishment and a goal to me and it means more to me than "my computer rocks." Which it did back in the day but now it's getting old. What can ya do? I still love it. Anyway, after discovering that I could overclock my GPU (it's already factory overclocked) I got a 3dmark score of around 5700-5800 or so. With 6000 looming over me like a great obstacle, I decided to throw caution to the wind and beat it.

So my computer has never been a stellar overclocker. I was able to get it to 2.8 GHz at one point in time but it wasn't stable enough for me to keep it like that, and as a result I went back to stock for a long time. Well, in a quest for more 3dmarks, I decided to try once more to take my mediocre Windsor to the next level. I found out I had a rather large FSB hole and was able to successfully boot it this time at an FSB of 315. Holy schnike. It ran for a little while at 315 x 9 (wow) and even lasted in Orthos for about 8 seconds. :D

But I think too unstable to make it through Proxycon.

So I set it to 310 x 9. A respectable 2790 MHz at 1.54V from a 4600+ X2. I'll take an extra 390 MHz, sure. As an added bonus, turns out the RAM ended up dividing right back to 800 effective MHz (well, a couple lower, but who's counting?)

On to the video card. I used ATI tool to overclock this bad boy. I clocked it to run as high as I could without artifacts, disabling PEG link so I could control it by myself. I set it to 630 core 755 mem. The factory OC was set to 560/755. Mind you, this is just a 7900GT with extra RAM, so this amounts to an overall clock increase of almost 200 MHz up from 450/660, without a volt mod.

I scored 5995 3dmarks! :eek:
Then my computer crashed. Curses.

I'm running out of room here so I'll make it short. Basically I increased my core clock to 632 and I think I took my mem clock up another 10 or so and went at it again, this time with Windows classic GUI, no background, and a selective startup that basically took everything out of the picture besides my wireless LAN (onboard) and my GPU drivers. I won't keep you waiting any longer, here are the results.
cpu.png

BASELINE TEST:
baseline.png

Overclocked:
oc1.png

Here is the comparison URL.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4580431

My goals have been fulfilled, have a good night everyone. I hope you enjoyed my story.

W00t! 6k is a good score to shoot for. If only I could dload the damn thing...

Can I have the movie rights to that story?

I feel special I have 2 friends! Thanks guys!

I made a mistake earlier, it was 315MHz x 9 (2835). So that makes a little bit of difference.

link doesn't work Rud, you have to click the checkmark next to publish in the project manager and then post the project url here for us to view it.

Maybe I can help you get it higher.

ha nice guys, I wonder what I can get with my system.

and a 8800 that will be here tommorrow! w00t

With that intel you should get insanely great CPU scores so you're good there. You'll get like 4 tests I think that all add together.

My brother's rig is an overclocked 939 3800+ X2 machine with a 8800GTS 320 and he scores just under 10K. So I bet you'll be around 13k or so.

i got this many marks :p

i could do it myself, but there is no reason for me to start pushing every ounce of performance out of my machine just yet, all the games i have i can max.

I will have to test mine sometime too. Cant right now, exporting film, and it's taking a long time... It's testing my overclock tho, lol.

Thelis, your inbreds are gone!

Back
Top Bottom