I think the format Blu Ray vs HD DVD war is over

For those still waiting on the format battle Warner Bros. has decided to go exclusive to Blu Ray. With that move HD DVD now only holds a 25% share of the market.

I find it funny how they mention the 360's external HD DVD player was not included with the 360 and that cost them a lot of support but Microsoft's bet looks to have paid off by not including it.

Beta max Revenge!

Source:

With record HD TV sales in 07 I think Sony had the right idea to campaign and secure the movie market in 07 and re take the gamers market in 08!

If Microsoft included it though, like with the PS3's Blu-Ray, HD-DVD would also be in a lot of homes by now. I would have one if it was included, but I wasn't planning on getting the external one to get the feature.
If it was there though, I would most probably have used it.

If Microsoft included it though, like with the PS3's Blu-Ray, HD-DVD would also be in a lot of homes by now. I would have one if it was included, but I wasn't planning on getting the external one to get the feature.
If it was there though, I would most probably have used it.

Yes I agree it was dumb on there part not to include it but offer it as a add on option. The HDTV market would have been much higher had they went that route. Although 360 sales may have suffered some since the price would have went up.

i agree,,i think MS messed up not including HDDVD in the 360...i think that's what's going to determine Blue Ray as the winner in this format war.

theres no point having two different formats anyway IMO, they should just agree to use one and get it over with instead of having this war over who gets how much of the market share :)

theres no point having two different formats anyway IMO, they should just agree to use one and get it over with instead of having this war over who gets how much of the market share :)

That would have been the obvious thing to do from the beginning. Sony was the one that decided to create Blu Ray discs which are much better for both gaming and movie since the storage capacity is much higher.

The trouble is since there both out already one company stands to lose 100's of millions in a failed format. Sony took another gamble and it looks like this one is going to pay off. I simply don't see how HD DVD can stay in the game only holding 25% of the market.

what format does the X-BOX 360 use? i think its blue-ray isnt it?

DVD is what it comes with factory. But you can buy a upgrade for a HD DVD player add on. Thats why its cheaper than a PS3. Of course then you can add another $180 to the 360's price tag if you want the HD DVD player.

That actually holds a big problem for them in the game department. There limited to 8.5GB on a dual layer were Blu Ray games on the PS3 are around 30gb right now.

So will take Grand theft auto 4 for example. When it gets released on the PS3 it will be on 1 disc. People with 360's are likely to have 3 maybe 4 discs to play the game.

ohh right ok

well, the better one will come out best and it looks to be blue-ray...

Back
Top Bottom