Standby bad for system?

ryanhoang@gmail.com

Solid State Member
Is putting my system in standby every night bad for my system and OS?

I usually keep the compy always on but now I can't get to sleep because of all the fans running. Also my mother keeps on raggin' on me that it takes up SO much electricity.I don't want to completely shut down the computer either because I know that will eventually damage the components and OS.

Would leaving it on be better and not skyrocket the utility bill or just putting it in standby?

Thanks

Save our planet, and run your system in either standby or hibernation. Either of these work fine, and to my knowledge don't damage your system.

I used to be like you by the way.

He thinks it'll damage your system.

Trust me - by the time it does actual (if any) damage to your system, you'll be on a new computer.

yeah....I guess i'll just put it on standby then. I just don't want to shut it down because people have told me that if your HDD has to keep on booting up the OS everytime you power up, it will eventually wear out or be bad for the OS.

Everything over time wears out Black.Ice. Shutting down your computer every night will not hurt it in any way. If it did, my computers would have died years ago. :D

A lot less wear and tear by putting your system in standby or hiberation. Both use very little power.............

Why wait for your system to boot when you don't have to?

i stopped putting my comp on standby and hibernation because when i would turn it on my AsusProbe would go crazy and say it was running ridiculously hot idle (80s normally at 30's) so i stopped doing it. im not sure if its just asusprobe or what but that freaked me out the first time i did it

I use hibernation all the time. I shut down every now and then to clear the RAM. I find it annoying to boot the system every day, I don't see why there would be any more wear on the drives or anything else from a cold boot or returning from hibernation though. Even more wear if you kept it on constantly.

Back
Top Bottom