fraud?

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
i really don't know where else to post this

telus (cell phone provider) called my mother on friday around 7pm, apparently offering a "free LG 285" or something with some good cell phone minute plan they mentioned and they said they were offering it to people in our area. well usually, my mom is very cautious about giving out personal info over the phone and over the internet, but i guess she was very emotionally beat up that day as our dog died that morning, so she wasn't thinking straight. they asked for name, address, date of birth, and drivers license number. well my mom gave them those things and they said they would send out the phone.

but im lost as to how this works. do you guys think this is like identity theft or something? they never asked for a credit card or anything, but im still afraid of it being identity theft. should i report this to the police?

You were sure it was Telus, right?

Normally, they'll have your credit on file somewhere.

would wait a bit like how long it would take for shipping, and if it dont come in that ime frame then call, or maybe look up the company online and see if they are offering any specials and if they arnt call the cops

01001010, we've never been with telus before, thats the problem

and no, im not sure if it was telus. thats the problem too

oo, then thats a tough question to ask, do what you think would be the safest, i mean you dont what identity theft at all, so i would call the cops, or what ever you do when that happens. but thats to be on the safe side, i mean if it turns out to be fine, what harm could you have done by calling the cops

not much you can do with that stuff, the only thing they would be able to do is report a lost\stolen drivers license and get a replacement, with there photo on it of them, although they might need some other form of ID to to that. doubt that was there intention though

cuz they also asked for social insurance number (but my mom didn't give it), and i know alot of companies ask for that randomly

if thats just like a socail security number than with that stuff you already stated and that number it would be easy fraud. w\o it though its probably impossible

just make sure you mom checks up on her credit cards\bank accounts every couple of days, and report anything she doesnt reconize. most people who fraud will buy candy bars\packs of gum with the stolen credit card before they move on to any real purchases, so make sure she keeps track of all the transactions she makes

all i know is that i would never give out my SSN, i remember when i cop pulled me over and that was the first thing he asked me for, i was like umm idk it, it was interesting on why he asked

the i would just do what you think is the safest path, we have given you some options but other than those there arnt that much more.

sorry if that seem useless

Back
Top Bottom