where is my hard drive

immortal143

In Runtime
this is 3 questions
where is my hard drive located

when i change my motherboard but keep my hard drive and my cpu do i get all the stuff i had

would i have to insert that disk that you get when you buy the new computer that you have to use for the computer to start working

even if you answer one or two of my questions it would be much appreciated

I certainly hope you'll have someone helping you when you change out your motherboard because if you can't answer these questions you probably shouldn't be tinkering with your computer.

First, your hard drive should be located towards the front of the computer in one of the 3.5" bays.

when you change out your motherboard, everything should be the same, you will just have to download new drivers for it. You should not have to insert the disk you received. You operating system is already on your hard-drive, and should not need to be reloaded.

I would recommend having a professional work on your computer. I don't mean to come of as a jerk. But it would suck if you messed something up, it could cost you a lot in the long run.

^ either that or spend a few month learning about computers before you try anything. I'm not trying to be mean but if you don't know what your doing, you could seriously mess up your computer.

A month isn't neccessary. You could learn all you needed in a night if you really committed to it.

Every time you install a piece of hardware, (a physical, tangible item), into your computer, it needs instructions on how to interact with the rest of your hardware. These instructions are called drivers. So in order for your motherboard to communicate with your Video Card, your RAM, your Harddrive, your Processor, your CD Drives, it needs these 'instructions' or drivers. The motherboard you buy will come with a CD containing these drivers. Simply pop it in and install them.

If you change usually 3 or more pieces of hardware in your computer, you will need to have one of those Window CD's that you recieve when you buy a new computer as you said. However if you change the Harddrive then yes you will need to insert the Windows CD again. This is because that CD transfers the information on it to the harddrive. So by changing the Harddrive, your computer no longer contains the information that it originally obtained from the CD.

I would reccomend reading this, 'How to build a PC' article in its entirety. As that is basically what you will be doing. You will have to remove all the pieces of hardware from your current motherboard, then take out the motherboard, then place in your new motherboard, then reattach all your other pieces of hardware.

This article lists all the pieces of hardware in your computer, and what they do. Read this first.
http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/summer1999/cowboy_pc.html

This article explains how to put these pieces together with detailed pictures.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671

After reading those two articles post anymore questions that you have regarding anything. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Practice tinkering with an older computer if you have one laying around.

this is 3 questions
where is my hard drive located

when i change my motherboard but keep my hard drive and my cpu do i get all the stuff i had

would i have to insert that disk that you get when you buy the new computer that you have to use for the computer to start working

even if you answer one or two of my questions it would be much appreciated

I certainly hope you'll have someone helping you when you change out your motherboard because if you can't answer these questions you probably shouldn't be tinkering with your computer.

I would recommend having a professional work on your computer.
Very valid advice, as to the new m/board, unless it is identical to your old one you would have to do a repair install of Windows which "may" work, before installing all the drivers.

Perhaps you might like to try searching Wikipedia for such terms as hard drive, drivers etc.

Without more specific detail on your existing hardware and operating system I believe you have been given the most relevent advice already, seek professional help.

Cheers.

EDIT: Don't you just hate it when someone posts while you're typing lol

More good advice from the Mayor

:)

Back
Top Bottom