where is the processor

immortal143

In Runtime
where is the processor on a motherboard and what does it look like
I am a first time computer up grader and i need some help finding out where the processor is my computer is an e machines T3302( i know emachines stink. that is why I am upgrading it

in the computer, there will be a fan on top of a "block" of metal with "fins" cut out, its under that :)

heatsink_installed.jpg

edit: the processor is the one with the fan, the other heatsink you see if for another part of the motherboard

edit 2: the "block" of metal is called a heatsink, and its in contact with the microchip because it gets very hot when its working, a heatsink helps to carry away that heat.

the fan is normally on older computers screwed on to the heatsink. BUT, before you do anything like that its important to turn the computer off at the mains (or if there is a small switch on the back then turn that off) but keep the power cord plugged in, and touch the inside of the case before you do anything incase there is some static on you which could damage the parts.

Do you know what kind of processor the computer has? That would help explain how to take the fan and heatsink off.

The heatsink is what is underneath the fan (the block of metal). It uses fins to disperse the heat produced by the processor.

Back
Top Bottom