Ready to get a new media PC

C13Dave

Beta member
About 2 years ago I bought an HP media PC that was a dual core system, 1.5 gb of ram, 350 hdd and had an nvidia 6500 video card with tv tuner in it. I use it mainly for building websites, playing mp3's, keeping up with my photos, and editing video that I make, with software like Sony Vegas and Magix (surprisingly as good as the twice the price Vegas)!

It's gotten to the point when I create videos/slideshows that go over 10 minutes, the editing software really slows down, so I'm ready to upgrade and I figure the video card is a major reason why it's running slow.

I've been looking at new systems and wonder if moving up to the nvidia 8500 series is what I should be looking at, with 2 gb of ram. I've also noticed some new media pc cases that are flat, like the OLD desktop PC's of the early 90's, but they are more updated, and look better so you can put them in your living room. I wonder if these cases are as good as regular PC's, regarding upgrades and ease of use.

Any help would be appreciated!

are you buying a prebuilt or building a computer?

As fun as it would be to build my own, I was going to go with a pre-built. I don't relish the idea of figuring everything out when I've never done it before. I can do basic hardware things, installing drives, ram, etc, but not dealing with the motherboard, figuring out every little detail, and taking the time to make sure it's all okay.

I've actually found an HP system with a 7500 series nvidia card and 22" monitor for about $1200. Has 3 gb or ram and 500 mb hdd at Sam's Club. I'm sure it may suffer from not having top notch hardware, but I got my last one from there and it seems to be running great even after 2 years.

get something with at least a 7600gt, and if your not able to build it, then get someone to build it for you :)

Are you planning to actually have the HTPC in your living room and hooked up to your TV? If you are, then by all means get a nice Media case, there are some good ones on Newegg Here, but if you don't need it in your living room then there's nothing wrong with just a normal ATX case, so long as it has the right parts inside. Yeah, as borat said probably anything from 7600GT up would be a nice choice, and a Core 2 Duo for the processor.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom