mobo chipset fried?

hey guys this looks like a good forum to ask this question...

um yesterday i accidentally popped out a stick of ram while i was testing a new built (i had the case open and i was messing around with the heat sink when i accidentally knocked the ram out) and it just locked up. so i turn off the powersupply. went to bed. this morning when i turned it on it just hung at bios loading. said something about my cmos being cleared and to press a key to load into bios settings. so i press a key and it says 1024mb ok. and it just stays there.

so i look in the manual and i realize that when i popped out the ram stick it got esd and the chipset has a prob now. im not sure if this prob is fixable but maybe you guys know?

the comps specs is

msi k9n diamond mobo
4000 x2
2gb corsair 6400
8600gt 256mb
250gb seagate

i will be emailing msi ocss, but do you guys think the chipset is fried and i need a new mobo/rma? or do i need to set something or reset something or reseat something? please help thanks guys.

The only thing you see on the screen when ti says its loading into the BIOS is 1024mb? Thats weird...

The problem could be ESD, but maybe when you knocked it you did something else. Since the computer indicated your cmos was cleared, you might have tripped a jumper or knocked out the CMOS battery. Make sure the CMOS battery is in its place. You might of also triggered the cmos jumper itself when you knocked it somehow. It should be a little piece like this:

cmosjp.jpg

Look for it and try and put it back on.

Back
Top Bottom