Urgent Help!! With OS/New Hardware

Hmm, I don't know are you sure you have it to read the CD Rom 1st and Hard Drive second?

yeah i know its better to boot off CD. but it wont boot off the cd. all it wants to do is boot off the Hard drive..

I was looking on google and came across this. Some guy had a problem like yours and he said this:

"I've had this problem in the past. You must set your boot procedure to exclude your hard drive completely. If your bios doesn't let you exclude the Hard drive then just set the first one to floppy and the rest all to the cd rom drive, it will then prompt you to press a key to boot from the CD"

i dont get that prompt either. i've tried every single order of Boot Devices and none of them works. i should call m$. im not sure what else to try

grab my WinXP Pro CD. (That Juice mailed me. Thanks)
Is it a genuine XP Pro cd or a copy???

Sounds like the cd isn't bootable.

EDIT:

On second thoughts,

Can you post a pic of where you're altering the boot order please, you are saving when exiting the bios aren't you??

Regardless of if the cd is bootable or not you should see the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt, it does go past fairly quick so you need to watch the screen closely.

its a copy. juice mailed it to me when i bought his P4 off him. lemme try it again and i'll watch real close..lol and i'll check back

I had the same problem a few weeks ago when I installed a new hdd, floppy disk error 40 was the lead at the back had come out slightly I mus have knocked it when putting in the new drive, so open your case and check your floppy drive connections.

You shouldn't have to use floppy... Burning OS's can cause problems if not done right... they will be unbootable... You could always try getting another copy... As long as CD/DVD is first in boot order, shouldn't be a problem... Perhaps try another OS disk, even an older OS, just to see if the disk is the problem?

Back
Top Bottom