memory trouble

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
ok well i bought a matched pair of Crossair 1x 1Gb sticks (800MHz 4-4-4-12) and installed them in the colour coded slots to have them run in dual channel mode. Then i started the computer up but every now and again ti would just freeze and nothing would happen, so i restarted and it happened again.

Sooo i went into the BIOS and changed the memory timings manualy to 4-4-4-12 which was he reccomended timing by the manufacturere and the timing they had been tested as a pair with.

Now it wont start up at all, it will pass the BIOS screen and will do the one short beep for the POST test but then just a blank screen...

So now im resetting the BIOS and hopefully all will be fine but i cant figure out whats wrong with them :confused:

the motherboard is capable of supporting 800MHz RAM and has dual-channel capability...anyone have a clue?

the single beep just means the motherboard has passed he self check, it should boot up but its just stuck on a black screen.

I took them out of dual channel and they work fine now so why wont they work in dual channel :confused:

You sure your putting them into the right slots for Dual Channel to work?

This may be a dumb question but when you adjusted the timings to manufactures spec did you also adjust the voltage to manufactures spec?

It looks like that memory is designed to run at 1.9V. Most ram defaults to 1.8V 5,5,5,15 timings so that may be whats causing the problem. Make sure your running 1.9V and not 1.8V in the bios.

Also I'm not sure if it was a typo or not on the link you gave to your ram but it says this.

This memory has been verified to operate at 800MHz at the low latencies of 5-5-5-12-T1.

I would think if it could do 5,5,5,12 T1 timings it should boot with T2 timings at 5,5,5,12 T2 but you may want to try switching to 1.9V 5,5,5,12 T1 timings.

i set the T to be auto so i guess i should make it T1 incase, as to the voltage ill see if its 1.9 or not

@ kage, yeah they go in the same colour right? I have slot 0 and slot 2 that are yellow and slot 1 and 4 that are black, i had one in each yellow slot which im guessing is the right way

thanks a bunch guys ill go check the voltage in the bios now....

edit: ok, the voltage comes up as 1.8 which isnt enough, but the BIOS doesnt have a feture to let me change the voltage, is there any other way to do it? I've tried nTune but it wasnt available on that either...

edit 2: damn, now i got a BSOD :(

Hmm... there should be a setting for manual voltages somewhere that will allow them to be unlocked in another menu. Look around.

I have a feeling now that it will be related to this, and not what I said, because the same occured to mine randomly, and it was because I needed to set the voltage to 2.0

ok il take another look, it will probably be under boot order or something :D

and i read reviews from the site i got it, and lots of them had upped the voltage to 2.0 as well so i guess thats what i should do, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom