Transfer data from one conputer to another?

2string

Solid State Member
I'm not sure if this is the right place but here it goes. My grandson has a laptop and received a new desktop for Christmas. How do I transfer downloaded music from the laptop to the desktop?

If he wants all his files from the laptop, and they are both windows XP then you can use the Windows Files and Setings Transfer Wizard, and the easiest way to do it is to have a network cable connecting the laptop and the desktop to create a small Local Area Network between them.

You first have to run the wizard on the old computer, and save the old files in the shared documents folder on the other computer through the network. Its a mater of just following the instructions on screen and youll do fine.

If its only music that he wants transfered, then the easiest way is to use a flash drive like rifle suggested, or you can always burn a CD/DVD :)

OK thanks, I'll probably use a flash drive. As you can see I'm not to smart when it comes to puters, he uses itunes do I have to change the file type to use the flash drive?

not if he has itunes installed on the desktop, then no he shouldn't have to :D

Good luck!

do you not have a network you could use?
i never use a usb drive to move stuff to my desktop. always wire free over my network :)

If you mean a router yes I have one and wireless adapters for each computer.

Back
Top Bottom