Could this reduce the life of my new hard drive?

Indeed. I have several old drives still. 20gb IBM drive from 1999 or something. Still works after years and years of use.

personally as they said above, dont put any data that you live by on that drive, just because its working now doesnt mean that sectors further on in the drive arent damaged or even destroyed, i would run many disc check programs and FULL formatting of the harddrive so the harddrive erases every sector just to make sure, then after running a couple formats run a disc check program, then format again, and run disc check again, if you dont come up with any errors you should be fine...

it should be fine if it doesnt look like any parts broke. run it( i wouldnt save my files on it either, just incase something happens, rather on a diff hd)
just one quick question, how do you expect to check for broken parts??? its a harddrive... theres a pcb board and a sealed metal case, not much to check for the untrained eye, unless he wants to void his warranty by opening it up which i HIGHLY dont recommend

LOL true but i would assume knocking it off the desk voids the warranty as well

yeah well thats where you got to wrap it in the original stuff and if you can still return it then just do that or if its under waranty buff out the corner ding!!! hahah jp

yeah chances are it may very well be fine but i certainly wouldn't risk my music collection or photos or anything like that on it for a while. Although hard drives being sent in the post...wonder what sort of a pounding they cop by the postal workers...gotta be a fair bit i reckon.
and none of you guys think that the HDD could have gotten jarred, dropped, slammed, thrown etc... before it got into the owner's hands? plug it in, if it works and doesn't make any weird noises, you're good in the long run like atomic said. hard drives may have very delicate components, but those components don't "wear out" as much as normal items with mechanical parts they usually either work or don't work. there has only been 1 occasion that i've encountered HDD failure that was due to wear, and that was because the bearings in the drive were leaky and faulty from the factory.

just one quick question, how do you expect to check for broken parts??? its a harddrive... theres a pcb board and a sealed metal case, not much to check for the untrained eye, unless he wants to void his warranty by opening it up which i HIGHLY dont recommend

opening up a HDD under normal conditions will kill it, the case is airtight and the disks have to be PERFECTLY cleaneed, NOTHING can get on them, otherwise they wont work again.

@lowdesey

there are G (force) stickers in them that will tell the manafactuer if the HDD has been put through certain amount of G's from falling\being hit. if the sticker is activated than the warranty is void.

opening up a HDD under normal conditions will kill it, the case is airtight and the disks have to be PERFECTLY cleaneed, NOTHING can get on them, otherwise they wont work again.

i know, thats my point, ohnoes said to check for broken parts, and thats simply impossible on a harddrive... and why i said i highly dont recommend it

LOL true but i would assume knocking it off the desk voids the warranty as well

ya, what rud said about the gforce stickers is new to me, cool stuff...

Back
Top Bottom