Last time your computer was 'off'

Yeha man, its good to turn it off

feels new when you turn it back on.

and when your first build your pc, the thermal paste needs time to set it. So by turning it on and letting it get hot and then turning it off letting it cool, sets it in.

To those of you who don't turn off your computers, sleep with one eye open tonight people because I will be but a fly on the wall, shutting your computers off as you doze off. It will be your worst nightmare!

I only turn it off to reboot. It stays on permanently otherwise. All 3 computers in this house does.I have read articles where people believe it puts just as much stress on components by booting a cold computer as it does by leaving it running.But the main reason i leave it running is cause it never breaks down. Sure enough when I start turning it off and leaving it off something seems to happen to it. Probably just all in the mind but if it works for you stick with it. Overclocking shortens a components lifespan more than leaving a computer turned on will ever do I believe. Probably 99% of businesses never turn their computer off other than to reboot. Don't think there is any real evidence either way other than to say it uses more electricity

nay, i have read many PSU tests\power tests and the average PC idles at 150ish watts, although thats if your CPU clocks down like i have mine set

Get a quad and you'll see the 180+ watt power consumptions. Somewhere in a post I listed my quad power consumptions.

I only turn it off to reboot. It stays on permanently otherwise. All 3 computers in this house does.I have read articles where people believe it puts just as much stress on components by booting a cold computer as it does by leaving it running.But the main reason i leave it running is cause it never breaks down. Sure enough when I start turning it off and leaving it off something seems to happen to it. Probably just all in the mind but if it works for you stick with it. Overclocking shortens a components lifespan more than leaving a computer turned on will ever do I believe. Probably 99% of businesses never turn their computer off other than to reboot. Don't think there is any real evidence either way other than to say it uses more electricity

Wakeup on LAN to peform administrative tasks is becoming popular, as the savings from turning off computers in large company's are HUGE.

Turn mine off when I need to clean out the dust or mess around with the case, or when guests come over. I just turned it on, because guests came over, then when they left I cleaned all the dust out and reseated everything, reapply thermal grease, et cetera.

Yeah and mine is overclocked so I get worried if I'm out lol. But if I'm home the whole day its on the whole day.

I used to worry about that myself but after you have yours for a bit you'll get a good idea of the temps and if it will ever climb that high to cause problems.

Myself when I'm home I leave it on for the most part. I'll generally shut it off though when I go to work unless I have download plans. I do my Virus scanning while i'm on.

I think the longest i've left mine on is probally 3 days.

Yeah especially once I get a aftermarket cooler than I should be even more secure.

The only time my computer gets shut off is when I need to restart to finish an installation or when it crashes and I need to restart and that doesn't happen that often.

For the record, my computer has been running for 7 days, 21 hours, 5 minutes and 10 seconds. [189 hours, including time when it was hibernating I guess] I just hibernate at night.

Great little tool for finding out how long your computer has been running:

http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinElapsedTime.php

The only time mine gets turned off is when I am taking it over to my brothers place to game.

Back
Top Bottom