Could this reduce the life of my new hard drive?

Treymac

Beta member
Hey. I had my new external hard drive on the computer desk, it hasn't been opened; it's still in it's original packaging (which has very little cushioning, if any). My cat jumped up on the desk and knocked it on the floor, about 3 feet. Will/could this hurt the lifespan of my hard drive?

Thanks.

very true, hard drives are very fragile, my freind droped his and killed it! haha just hook it up and if it works then you should be good

If it was on while it happened, it would have a much higher chance of damaging itself.

I would return it for a new one if you bought it locally, just for peace of mind.

personally i think there is no way for anyone here to be certain. Anyone saying that it will be fine really is just guessing.It is just opinions and i wouldn't take it as gospel. personally i wouldn't be using it to backup any important data on ....not for a while at least.

yeah chances are it may very well be fine but i certainly wouldn't risk my music collection or photos or anything like that on it for a while. Although hard drives being sent in the post...wonder what sort of a pounding they cop by the postal workers...gotta be a fair bit i reckon.

it should be fine if it doesnt look like any parts broke. run it( i wouldnt save my files on it either, just incase something happens, rather on a diff hd)

My dad's 120gb western digital HD fell off the table while it was still in bubble wrap. Good 'ol newegg.
To this day the hard drive works perfectly. (2 years)

When a drive fails, it's not how you handle it, but the way it has been made. Some tough longer than others, and some comes bad right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom