ram question

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
well i have 3 ram sticks in my computer, 2 512mb pc3200 (200mhz) and 1 256mb pc2700(166mhz, from 2000 or so when i made my old computer) my system memory speed is set to 166mhz, i was wondering if i took out the 256 and put it at 200mhz will it be faster than at 166mhz and a extra 256mb stick? thanks alot in advance, (the 256mb ram stick is a buffalo lol)

You should see if you can manually set the memory speed to 200MHz in the BIOS with all three in. If you can't, I think you would be better off performance wise just removing the PC2700 module and letting the remaining 1GB PC3200 memory run at it's full speed.

you would be more efficient running the 2 x 512mb just because of its speed but even with or without the other 256 i don't think you'd see that much of a difference.

thanks guys, yeah i tryed bumping up the speed and yeah...... lets just say my motherboard has a protection thing where if you overclock shit to high it will make you turn it to normal and if you try to still ignore it it will change it itself! lolllll i cant even up my cpu voltage without it making me change it! haha but imma try it out thanks guys

o yeah and one more thing, my computer seriously pisses me off sometimes, (this is something i have to rant about haha) when im taking out my ram or putting it in, when its half way in it somehow triggers the power or when im installing the hd cables it somehow triggers the power, i am never going to not turn off the power switch while unistalling ever again! it never messed anything up but it sure is just annoying hahah

You should always unplug the power cord from the wall outlet when working in your computer. You can cause serious problems including electrocution if you don't.

you wont get electrocuted(if you do you will hardly feel it), but there is always juice flowing to the PC, so removing\adding hardware with the power on can damage your motherboard\other parts.

Back
Top Bottom