Upgrading hdd

its just going to replace the 80gig, my mobo has sata onboard and i also have a sata card but thats for other things not needed to mention. i dont see how you can just click and drag files like that and have it work successfully...

I run a dual boot between Vista and XP and sharing or swapping files is easy. When you bring up My computer you'll see both hard drives. If there is a bunch of music files you want on your new hard drive you simply copy the folder then move it to the new hard drive.

I actually have my documents folder targeted to a 250gig partition in XP. So all my music is actually on the drive XP is installed on. If I wanted them all on my Vista drive I'd just have to select the documents folder and copy it to Vista.

As Atomic Rooster said you can't copy the OS or programs onto the new harddrive. You will have to format the drive.

If you search the secondary hard drive you'll find that some programs if you change the target and create a shortcut file on the other drive you may be able to run certain apps that are not stored on the drive your using. Its touch and go though most games you'll need to re install but simple apps generally work without any problems.

Here I just took a screenshot of a example for you. Just stack your windows side by side. You'll see My computer up on the left and my music files on my media drive. I'd just select the folders and drag over to Vista if I wanted to move the files over. Of course if you have a specific spot you want them in on the other hard drive select the location you want to move them. Its going to take just as long to burn to dvd or transfer via cable as it would to share between harddrives.

ShareFiles.jpg

well mattiedashark83, im wanting to only have my 500gb in the tower. i've got other plans for the 2 in there now. im thinking atomic rooster is saying that the software will clone my current primary to the new drive... unless im mistaking.

Yes, that's exactly what DiscWizard does. It clones the entire contents of your current drive to the new one including OS and all files and programs. :D

k, thanks guys. i understand the dual boot because i actually have that too but only a few gigs dedicated to XP. some programs i use work best on XP so i had to do it. if i can copy that over then i'll just have to do it over again but it should copy over even with it being partitioned.

well mattiedashark83, im wanting to only have my 500gb in the tower. i've got other plans for the 2 in there now. im thinking atomic rooster is saying that the software will clone my current primary to the new drive... unless im mistaking.

Okay well I wasn't positive on your original post. I still like doing a clean format on a new drive. Why clone all the junk you don't need onto the new drive? But yes if you just want to clone your whole OS just use atomic rooster's route.

im just wanting to make the 500gig hdd my only one in my tower and use the other 2 as externals for my movies and music and pics. i appreciate your input though. thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom