Upgrading hdd

sccrbrandon47881

In Runtime
I currently am running 2 hdd's, an 80gb (contains OS) and a 60gb (storage), both are IDE. I am going to get a 500gb SATA hdd soon and I want to use it as my primary and put the others in enclosures. My question is, how can I copy my 80gb to my 500gb so the 500gb is the one running the OS? i don't want to have to worry about windows screwing up so I didn't know if the software that comes with the drive will work or if I need something better. Thanks.

If you buy a retail drive, it will come with software that will copy/clone the entire contents of your current drive. :D

well i work at Best Buy and can get a 500gb with a little bit of a discount and it says it comes with software but i didnt know if it would be good enough. so then what you are saying is that the software seagate has in the box will do the trick?

Yup. Seagate's DiscWizard works just fine. I used to use Maxtor's utility all the time with no problems at all. :D

Is this going in a new computer or does your motherboard have both IDE and Sata connections. If it has both just setup the 500gig as the primary boot enable file sharing and drag the contents of your 80gig drive into the 500 gig drive and archive the files to your preference.

If it doesn't have any Sata connections I assume your buying a PCI Sata controller in which case you can still drag the files over.

If its 2 different computers you can always use the backup wizard and backup to DVD or use a software suite as the above posters suggested.

its just going to replace the 80gig, my mobo has sata onboard and i also have a sata card but thats for other things not needed to mention. i dont see how you can just click and drag files like that and have it work successfully...

Files, documents, vids, music, etc. can be copied that way. But programs and OS cannot be done that way. They either have to be reinstalled or cloned in the case of an OS.

Back
Top Bottom