Re-installing XP question

cwharms

In Runtime
I have 2 computers, 1 with professional and 1 with home.

The hdd crapped on the older one(home) and I am installing a new one.

Question is: I lost the XP home disc, can I use my Pro disc and the home key?

Nope

No, but you might be able to contact Microsoft and order a disc to use with your current key. Windows XP Pro discs don't work with Home keys, and it is against the EULA (end user license agreement) of your Windows XP Pro to use it on another computer.

Got ya, I'm not planning on using pro on the older comp. I just need to come up with a home edition disc.

Got ya, I'm not planning on using pro on the older comp. I just need to come up with a home edition disc.

There you go!!! Like I said, try contacting Microsoft about getting another CD. They might charge you for shipping/handling charges, but they should be able to send you one for your license.

Do you know your key? if so just borrow the same OS HOME version or download it from a p2p site and use your key.

Thanks. I called MS but they couldn't help me since it was OEM. I contacted Compaq and they provided me with recovery discs for $10. I had to take a few hours to clean up all of the pre-installed crap and download SP2, but at least it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks. I called MS but they couldn't help me since it was OEM. I contacted Compaq and they provided me with recovery discs for $10. I had to take a few hours to clean up all of the pre-installed crap and download SP2, but at least it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

So MS said they can only help you if the disc was retail and not OEM?

That sux. I was thinking about getting an OEM of home edition for my new build, would I have to buy another disc if the system died and I had to reinstall the OS???

So MS said they can only help you if the disc was retail and not OEM?

That sux. I was thinking about getting an OEM of home edition for my new build, would I have to buy another disc if the system died and I had to reinstall the OS???

Just keep the disc.

Back
Top Bottom