Not showing correct HDD capacity

Anonymous User1

Beta member
I have a Compaq 6420NX, that i installed a fresh WinXP Home on, it has a 300gb harddrive installed. But when I go to My Computer & click on local Drive C, it says it only has Total Size : 127gb & Free Space 125gb.

Did I do something incorrectly? I had windows Vista Ultimate installed beforehand, & it showed up the Hdd correctly. So what could I have done when I downgraded?

Thanks

is your xp SP1? if so..that is the case...if you are having problems with even USING xp you will have to streamline the SP3 onto a new disk...i can't explain it but if you can't update to sp2 or 3 or whatever the current is now, you will have to google how to do that or ask someone here for help....

Luckily for you, you probably weren't trying to install while you had files on your hdd like me....my hard drive was gone instantly (bc its a 320gb) when i clicked install because it only read 137gb cuz it was sp1 and i didn't know it....it sucked..MAJORLY..so good luck on this!

You didn't do anything wrong. Windows XP only recognizes the first 127GB of a large drive. Installing SP2 will solve that problem.

You can go into computer management and format the remaining free space as another partition.

If you want to avoid this in the future, you will need to slipstream XP with SP2 onto an install CD. The easiest way to do so is by using Autostreamer. Here's a guide on how to use the program: How to use AutoStreamer to Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Back
Top Bottom