New Mobo!! Sweet!

_-..zKiLLA..-_

Fully Optimized
alright well i ordered my new mobo off of newegg.com last night (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013) but i dont have a Video Card yet. and i probably wont git one till february b/c thats when my birthday is. but right now i have my 2gb of G.Skill and my 64X2 5600+. so what im wondering is there anyway i can test my board to make sure its not RMA. b/c i wont have a vid card till february (UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO MAKE ME A DEAL ON A CHEAP ONE LAYIN AROUND THE HOUSE) so how would i test my board to make sure its not RMA?

so you want to check to make sure the motherboard works instead of having the graphics card arrive when it does and have the motherboard RMA'd?

You can tell if its DOA if when you plug it in and go to turn it on, but nothing turns on then it is Dead on Arrival.

so you want to check to make sure the motherboard works instead of having the graphics card arrive when it does and have the motherboard RMA'd?

Yeah pretty much. cuz im not sure when im ettin a GFX Card..

so what i should do is put the RAM in and the CPU and hook it to my PSU and what would it do if its not DOA...

ok well turns out my PSU only has 20pin mobo connector and my mobo is a 24pin.. so i'll have to take it to a computer repair place and see if they can help me

ok ill give you a few tests that you can do (you dont need a case for this but it would make it a bit easier):

1. Plug the power supply cables in, and the On switch. Plug the speaker/headset into the onboard Line-Out (Speaker Out) port. Don't plug the cpu/ram in just yet, BUT plug in either a case fan or the cpu fan. Press the on switch so that it starts up, the fans spinning. You Should hear a series of beeps or one long beeps. If there are beeps then your motherboard is ok so far.

2. Now plug in the CPU and the heatsink/fan. Do the same, and press the power switch. There should again be a series of beeps that will be in a different pattern to when there was no CPU. If there are beeps everything is still ok.

3. Now put the RAM in, and press the on switch. If there are a different set of beeps then the CPU is probably ok.

Thats the most you can do unless you have onboard graphics since at some point the motherboard is going to try and detect if there is a graphics card and when it doesnt find one its going to beep. But, generally speaking if it beeps at all when something like the memory is not plugged in its good-to-go :)

ok ill give you a few tests that you can do (you dont need a case for this but it would make it a bit easier):

1. Plug the power supply cables in, and the On switch. Plug the speaker/headset into the onboard Line-Out (Speaker Out) port. Don't plug the cpu/ram in just yet, BUT plug in either a case fan or the cpu fan. Press the on switch so that it starts up, the fans spinning. You Should hear a series of beeps or one long beeps. If there are beeps then your motherboard is ok so far.

2. Now plug in the CPU and the heatsink/fan. Do the same, and press the power switch. There should again be a series of beeps that will be in a different pattern to when there was no CPU. If there are beeps everything is still ok.

3. Now put the RAM in, and press the on switch. If there are a different set of beeps then the CPU is probably ok.

Thats the most you can do unless you have onboard graphics since at some point the motherboard is going to try and detect if there is a graphics card and when it doesnt find one its going to beep. But, generally speaking if it beeps at all when something like the memory is not plugged in its good-to-go :)

alright thas awesome... ima take it to a PC Repair place and do that.(i dont have the appropriate PSU yet) im lookin at this one..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023
is is any good?
its only 40$ and it has all the power connections i need.. 24pin. i plan on gettin some sata drives soon. so i'll need those

wow thats a great deal on the PSU - and its a good brand too very reputable, plus the cables have already got sleeving which would make tidying up the cables after its been installed easier. The cables look to be of good length too and there are plenty of 12v periperhal leads and the PCI-E power lead for the newer graphics card that need higher power levels :)

Back
Top Bottom