Browsing iPod by Artist?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

First off I didn't know whether to post this in Hardware and Software or here, so I posted it here..

I got an iPod Classic (80gb) for Christmas and have put my music collection onto it. It's working great, except for one thing. When I browse through the artists, and scroll quickly it brings up the quick browse and cycles through the letters of the alphabet. But when it goes past, for example "Beatles" and "The Beatles", the letter thing goes A..B...T..B...C instead of A...B...C and ignoring "the". I've seen other identical iPods do the right thing and wonder why mine isn't??

Thanks,

Matt

"The" Does not count as an actual word.

So when you're going thru looking at artists, what you're going to want to do is to look at the first real name "Beatles".

Although its tricky, because if you have "The Beatles" and "Beatles" they will come up one right after another, because the Ipod thinks they're two difference bands (because of the two words); even though "The doesn't count.

I know its a pain!

Yours is working right, as ArrizX said, it ignores the "the". Sometimes it doesn't, I'm not sure why...probably something with the ID3 tags not being formatted properly.

As for having 2 different categories for "Beatles" and "The Beatles" fix your ID3 tags!

Yeah, it just ignores the word "the". I don't think the older iPods did it... I update iTunes periodically and after one update it began sorting them like that. It's just a change Apple made to the software; there's nothing wrong with your iPod. :)

I think everyone is misunderstanding his post, or maybe I am..

Your all saying it should ignore the 'The' in the name, which is right, it should.. his problem is not that it IS ignoring the 'The' in the artist name, but rather that its NOT ignoring the 'The'.

I think everyone is misunderstanding his post, or maybe I am..

Your all saying it should ignore the 'The' in the name, which is right, it should.. his problem is not that it IS ignoring the 'The' in the artist name, but rather that its NOT ignoring the 'The'.

To me at least, it appears that it "is" ignoring it, as it is putting "The Beatles" next to "Beatles" because it is sorting both artists by B. But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Lol, sorry for the confusion...to clarify, it ISN'T ignoring "the", so any artist with a the at the beginning will make the scroll by letter thing go from C to T back to C for say, Cream..The Cure...Cyndi Lauper for example. I think i've worked out that it's something to do with Winamp, cause I gave up on iTunes as it was laggy. After it syncs with Winamp that problem comes, but if I simply open iTunes with it connected then click Eject it fixes the problem. Weird.

Again sorry for the confusion lol.

Matt

EDIT: I don't mean just regular browsing through the artists, I mean when you scroll the wheel quick and it comes up with the 26 alphabet letters that takes you to each letter with one scroll..

Back
Top Bottom