Linksys Wireless-G Router.

cory551

Baseband Member
Alright, well my friend gave me his Linksys G router, and it's brand new, never touched, etc. All I have is the power cord, Install CD, and the router itself. Is that all the contents I need to use the router? Do I need to register it or anything?

If you need to do any configuration (network name, security, etc.) you will need a patch cable to connect the router to your computer and access the router config page via IE or other web browser.

When I said patch cable, I meant ethernet cable. When I say patch cable, I just mean network cable, CAT5 cable, whether you want to call it, it's all the same. But not everybody has one. ;)

Well, a patch cable has slightly different wiring than normal ethernet cables. It allows two computers to be connected directly to each other with no device in between.

Well, a patch cable has slightly different wiring than normal ethernet cables. It allows two computers to be connected directly to each other with no device in between.

Well I know those to be a crossover cable. ;) I have one, but I know patch cables as the cables from a patch panel to a switch or hub, which are regular CAT5. :p

Ah, you are correct! It's been too long since my Cisco days. =(

Ahh mate, it's cool. I love the username. I have just upgraded so many hubs in classrooms to switches. But they weren't CISCO. I honestly can't remember what they were, but they upgraded all the schools from 10 mbps to 100 mbps with those and some new NICs for the old computers. But I plan on getting certified in A+, Network+, Security+, and some Microsoft, Novell, etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom