New computer?

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I've gotten $700 this Christmas and I think it's time to switch from this old AGP 8X system (I could probably sell this PC for $300 on Craigslist, I got it for $200 and I've done a ton of upgrades), I am not at all knowledgeable at what companies are good and the like so can someone give me links to pre-built computers from like Newegg and once I get the hang of it I'll do it myself? I tried looking myself but have no results.

Thanks

NeciFiX

the best thing to do is use the case from ur current PC and then part out what u have now (on craigslist or ebay or w/e) and do ur own build. Some of the gurus here will help u

My current case is very tiny. Wouldn't really work. Plus, it sucks, I want a new one lol and that's okay.

I've gotten $700 this Christmas and I think it's time to switch from this old AGP 8X system (I could probably sell this PC for $300 on Craigslist, I got it for $200 and I've done a ton of upgrades), I am not at all knowledgeable at what companies are good and the like so can someone give me links to pre-built computers from like Newegg and once I get the hang of it I'll do it myself? I tried looking myself but have no results.

Thanks

NeciFiX
Like its already been said, use your case and power supply as well as HD and CD drives you already have. Saving those parts will save you easily $200 from buying new parts.

Go out and buy:
1. Motherboard
2. CPU
3. GFX Card
4. Memory

That will run you about $400 for a pretty good setup, if you want to go all out you could blow all $700, but I wouldn't simply because I never go for the brand new stuff as they usually haven't proven themselves.

Take your new parts, and throw them in your old case.

edit: just read you don't like your case. If that's the case, then your power supply is probably also really dinky, so buy a $40 case off newegg, and a $40-$60 power supply off newegg (~500W). Your HD, and CD drive should still be fine unless your computer is really really old. In that case, you may need to spend all your money.

Hmm, good idea. I have two HDD's in my current computer. One is like 150-160 GB, the other is 250 (only 5400 RPM though?) and is a secondary drive with no OS. I can keep the secondary drive, clean off the first HDD and install my current XP on the secondary drive. The XP Disc that I have though says "To be sold with a new Dell Computer only" and is OEM, does this mean it will not work for any computer I plan to make in the future?

I can probably sell the CD-Drives with this PC as my dad has a CD-Drive for a Christmas gift anyways, so, this'd still be a whole PC I could still eBay off. The PSU is only 250W and the case is small, so, I wouldn't keep it. I'm not a huge fan of gaming but I'd like something that could keep up with the latest and greatest as I still DO game, maybe a mobo with dual PCI-e x16 (though that'd probably be expensive). I found a mobo that was only $300 that had dual PCI-Express 2.0. I could probably get a mediocre PC at the moment with a very nice mobo like that, get a lower end GPU, a good but easily upgradeable CPU and memory doesn't cost a ton but I'd get like 2GB and a 3rd for later and just upgrade it all when I get more money :D.

My PC was made in 2004, is that too old?

I like that processor, the GPU I'm not so sure. I plan to get a really low-end $40 GPU and the rest quite nice, then, when I get more $$$ I'll sell the old one, get a more recent one (like that one) and I'll only get 1-2GB of RAM, the rest really good however, then just upgrade in the future.

Back
Top Bottom