What's the deal?

Marshillboy

In Runtime
So I have this computer build that's only about a month old or so, and just a few days ago it started rebooting incessantly, to the point of corrupting system files. Just yesterday I booted up my computer and not only did it take windows down, but it corrupted the freaking filesystem. NTFS was no longer existent on my C: drive. I had to reformat the partition and I'm reinstalling windows xp pro right now, but do you have any idea what caused this? Hopefully I will be able to recover a few files after this, but I'm not expecting much.

Thanks,
~Marshillboy~

virus, bad OS, faulty HDD, thats is really to general of a question you need to give more details.

I doubt it was a virus, I had NOD and some antispyware on my computer. I also doubt it is a faulty HD, it's working fine now. Bad OS is my thought, but is that really possible?

bad CD is alot of times the case for me , i had like 4 scratches on mine and couldn't get it to load so it crashed and I tore it apart = ) thank god I went to fry's!

bad CD is alot of times the case for me , i had like 4 scratches on mine and couldn't get it to load so it crashed and I tore it apart = ) thank god I went to fry's!

He's not using anything though when it shuts off. It could be an intermittently failing PSU; due to the PSU being borderline incapable of being able to power your system. I saw your specs, mind posting the wattage and make of your PSU? Frequent unexpected shutdowns can corrupt the hdd and more specifically the C: drive if they happen enough.

But the more likely answer is a virus. It could easily corrupt the HDD, and the crashes.

If your PSU is sufficient, then it is most definitely a virus.

Yeah I HIGHLY doubt it's my PSU. Thermaltake PurePower 500w is plenty for my system, even without a video card.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/TR2power/w009394/w009394.asp

EDIT: Yeah a virus sounds improbable given the amount of security software I was using, but I've accidentally clicked on "some links" and I guess it wouldn't be surprising if something slipped by.

Reliable brand, plenty of power; definitely not a shotty PSU. Problems like that usually occur when you buy a cheap case/psu combo. Even the smartest of us get duked sometimes by viruses. Illegally downloading songs, a seemingly innocent link, a suspicious download, happens to all of us.

Back
Top Bottom