Wireless connection on my Lenovo very slow

rickys

Beta member
I purchased this laptop few months ago and since the day 1, the wireless connection has been slow as compared to the Dell Latitude which I have from work. At home I use Wireless G LAN with 54 mbps throughput. I ran the speed test at speakeasy.net and where the Dell showed a download speed over the Wireless of up to 6 mbps, Lenovo only shows about 3. I tried to find an answer on IBM's site but no luck. When I called the tech support, it seemed to me like I knew more about the computers than the person I was talking to.

Can anyone help me with this? Is there some setting that I might need to change to increase the Wireless connection speed?

=System Specs=
Windows XP Professional SP2
Genuine Intel CPU with 1.6 GHz bus speed and Dual Core
1.5 GB of RAM
11 a/b/g Wireless mini PCI Express adapter

11a Transmit Rates: 54 Mbps
11b Transmit Rates: 54 Mbps
11d Mode Switch: Disable
11g Transmit Rates: 54 Mbps
802.11b Preamble: Long and Short
Auto Transmit Rate: Enable
Network Address: Not Present
Power Save Mode: Off
Roam Time(sec): 45
Roam Time Threshold (db): 15
Transmit Power: 100%
Wireless Mode Selection: Auto

Thanks in Advance!!
Ricky

obvious thing would be updating the drivers.
its all good having this theory about downloading at 6mbps (which seems a tad high, maybe you are talking about your connection speed), but try putting it into practice. download the same file on both (something like the msn live setup, or skype, as they should get good speeds).
oh and @zkilla, who said he didnt have security? and how would that affect anything, considering 1 laptop is fine?

obvious thing would be updating the drivers.
its all good having this theory about downloading at 6mbps (which seems a tad high, maybe you are talking about your connection speed), but try putting it into practice. download the same file on both (something like the msn live setup, or skype, as they should get good speeds).
oh and @zkilla, who said he didnt have security? and how would that affect anything, considering 1 laptop is fine?

Hi, I have a hi-speed extreme connection from my service provider which allows downloads up to 9mbps. Over my 54mbps wireless, its about 6 mbps on my Dell but only 3mbps on IBM. I've already updated the drivers. I'm considering spending some money on an external wifi card if my problem doesn't get resolved.

so you mean you can download a file at the speed of upto 9000kb/s :confused:
my internet connection speed is around 4mb, and i can download around 400kb/s

anyway did you try downloading the same file on both computers?

Put security on your connection, and then change the channel from teh default of 6 to 13

Some laptops come loaded with crapware. Most not all will get online with out asking permission. That has the nack of slowing down a connection big time. Get ZoneAlarm and you'll see what i'm talking about. Get AdAware and Spybot S&D from www.filehippo.com. Update and run them.
Then check that connection.

Also, to go along with what setishock has had to say, If the laptop is using something besides windows to manage the network, I have seen those slow a network down. If possible, use windows to manage your wireless, not some other application.

Thanks for all the posts guys.

Actually I formatted my IBM (Something I do each time I get my hands on a laptop before using) and installed a fresh version of XP. I don't have anything else running on this thing other than PC-Cillin Internet Security.

And I am using Windows to manage the Wireless connection. :s

Back
Top Bottom