Desktop Issue - Please Help

Brian_Fenner

In Runtime
Been out of town for a few days on vacation (Las Vegas):D ..........come back and fire up my desktop and it's dead!
It won't power up at all.......no fan, no noise, nothing.

HP 7177C Desktop System
2GB RAM
Pent D

I took it apart and here is what I see..........
There is an LED on the rear of the PS that is blinking when plugged in (it should be on solid). I started disconnecting all power cables to various components and had everything disconnected except the MB and it still wouldn't power up.
If I disconnected the MB power cable connector then plug it back in with the power cord attached the PS LED would be solid and it would fire up. But if I left the MB cable connector attached and then disconnected the main power plug then plugged it back in the PS Led would again blink and it wouldn't fire.

ANY ideas?
Is the PS toasted or is it a MB issue?

Thanks for any help........

I would say its a PSU issue as no fans spin and there is no noise such as the hdd starting up or anything.

try jumpstarting the psu with something like just a case fan plugged into it see what happens
if the psu wont jumpstart you need a new psu if it will could be the mobo

ps if you dont know how to jumppstart your psu just put a paperclip between the green wire and any black wire on the 20/24 pin adaptor

I have the PSU out of the case now........plugging the power cord in the green light is on solid..........if I jumper the green/black the psu fan comes on.
The PSU light blinks and won't power when I have the large connector attached to the motherboard and the main power cord is disconnected then reconnected.
If I have the main power cord plugged in first then attach the cable to the motherboard everything is okay and it fires.

I can order a PSU as I hope that's what the problem is............but if it's the motherboard the desktop is scrap IMHO as it's then not worth the effort.

Any other ideas to confirm?

The easiest thing to do would be to try another PSU in the computer, do you have a spare around anywhere?

Right now I'm thinking it's the PSU, but it's hard to tell for sure without some tests.

Just ordered an exact replacement PSU for only $40..........
It's worth it to g ive it a try and see if this is the issue.

I'll report back what I find when I get the replacement.

Thanks guys........

Back
Top Bottom