A few questions..

lhamil64

In Runtime
Well im sort of thinking about (probably not gonna happen but still thinking) making a spare computer a server. I thought about using Ubuntu server, but the actually ubuntu OS would probably run slow on it. I also thought about using another flavor of ubuntu (like xubuntu)

One thing is though, i have RoadRunner internet, and have read online that i would have to hook this computer directly up the the modem. I don't want to cancel the internet service, so could i set up the server using a wireless USB internet adapter?

This computer is kind of slow. It only has 128 megs of RAM but has a 30 GIG hard drive.

I also know about domains and stuff, but i wont worry about that unless i would actually set a server up and put html files on it.

thanks,
lhamil64

First things first. You don't need to hook you computer up to your modem directly. That defeat the purpose, unless you were only going to be accessing the server from servers outside of you home.

Next you said that you might want to get a wireless USB internet adapter. I wouldn't recommend that. The reason being that even the best usb adapters are only going at 54kbps. If you have a wireless router that is fine, but you need a router for this. I would recommend connecting the server to the router with an ethernet cable. That way you will know that the connection is always there, you don't have to worry about loosing signal. Then you can just connect the router to your modem and you should be all set. You will probably have to do a power cycle but that isn't anything big.

Also if you do decide to set up this server i would recommend getting Webmin. http://www.webmin.com/ This is a frontside GUI that will make things a hole lot easier for you with adding users and other admin tasks.

Cheers!

Another question. Is there another Linux server OS (preferable smaller in size) than Ubuntu? I think there is a problem with their ISO files or something because every time i tried to install anything "ubuntu" it would come up with "Corrupt File" errors. Yet Damn Small Linux booted fine on the same computer, burnt with the same cd burner.

Another question. Is there another Linux server OS (preferable smaller in size) than Ubuntu? I think there is a problem with their ISO files or something because every time i tried to install anything "ubuntu" it would come up with "Corrupt File" errors. Yet Damn Small Linux booted fine on the same computer, burnt with the same cd burner.

There could be a couple of reasons that the iso wasn't loading correctly. The most common reason though is that your cdburner was burning at too high a speed. You should try bringing the speed down a little bit and see what that does.

Back
Top Bottom