vista question

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
when i upgrade my computer if i install vista on it with like 8gb ram, will vista be worth it or will it be better to have like 4gb and xp?

Unless you go with the 64bit versions of either one, the extra 4.5 gigs won't be picked up on. The 32bit version will see 4 gig but only use 3.5 gig.

wait , there are lots of problems with 64bit, i think i read that you carnt install any third party software, like when u download something and that microsoft warming comes up with the red x . u carnt install any of them.

Unless you go with the 64bit versions of either one, the extra 4.5 gigs won't be picked up on. The 32bit version will see 4 gig but only use 3.5 gig.

I think you mean it will see 2.85gig-3.25gigs depending on board/bios and use 3.5gigs.

4gigs is all thats needed with Vista for now. The lowest i've had my free ram at was roughly 1100megs free.

And to Cryman you can install 3rd party drivers but they have to be certified by Microsoft which costs like $500. So some people that design programs IE riva tuner don't have certified drivers. As long as you don't install the Kernal Debugger update patch you'll be fine installing 3rd party software. If you install the Kernal patch update you'll have to hit F8 when Vista launchs and disable Digital Driver signing otherwise it won't work. It took me a while to figure out why riva tuner wasn't working and pin pointed it to that update. Don't install it if you want to do GPU overclocking.

wait , there are lots of problems with 64bit, i think i read that you carnt install any third party software, like when u download something and that microsoft warming comes up with the red x . u carnt install any of them.
i have vista 64 bit never had a prob
runs great
btw 8g of ram really is over kill
vista need 756 to itself to run the best
then u got 3+ to run games even crysis wont use all that ram

does 64bit have any issues with games. does every game run on it

I have not had any issues with any of the games I play. I'm sure there are games that may not work that are pretty old. 64 bit Vista may be a 64bit OS but it has backward compatibility mode and will install 32bit programs through the X86 Folder.

Games like Crysis that are wrote in both 64bit and 32bit allow you to choose which way you want to play. Games not wrote in 64bit mode just default to 32bit compatibility mode.

Back
Top Bottom