Do I need to upgrade my fan(s) or is this normal?

poptarts

Solid State Member
im not sure how to describe the sound other than just a fast fan, but what i wanna know is: is this normal.. it sometimes happens during games, which i can understand, but sometimes just flash games on the net or sometimes even with standard use. it is not my gpu fan, as i have the 8800gts card with the fan, but i open my case and it is either the processor or the system fan. can this damage my computer or is this what its supposed to do.. because it only happned a few days after my new vid card and psu upgrade.. its now 500W. this is a rather long post for such a simple question but i tend to ramble at times lol thanks for any help that can be offered

It sounds normal to me. As the CPU is used harder, the fans spin faster to keep up with the added heat being generated.

My video card does that. My CPU HSF doesn't as it's running full at all times.

so its nothing to worry about then? i just wanna make sure that its not a sign of overheating and eventual failure or damage or something

If you ever wonder about that, you can usually go into your setup and it will tell you the fan RPM. But Atomic Rooster is correct, the fans can vary in speed.

Back
Top Bottom