Arctic Silver... Worth it?

_-..zKiLLA..-_

Fully Optimized
i just ran a everest CPU stress test.. and heres the results...
stabilitytest.png

How drastically would my temps drop.. and i also put this beast in the side of my comp yesterday...
its a 120mm Aprevia Fan... real good fan.. SO FAR...
DSCF0669.jpg

BTW IM NOT USING ANY THERMAL GREASE RIGHT NOW.. THATS Y IM ASKING

your CPU is pretty good as it is , but try running the stress test for longer then 5 minutes.

that fan makes the case look alot better, haha

Using Arctic Silver thermal grease will reduce your core temps 1 or 2 degrees. Maybe. You really won't see that much of a difference between thermal compounds unless the stuff you're using now is terrible (which it probably isn't).

If you are running a CPU dry, then I would get some. You will see temperature drops.

Yeah it's only 10 bucks, and will make your CPU last a bit longer. Not to mention that you can use that tube so many times before it runs out.

You never, ever run a cpu dry. You're just asking for a thermal runaway. The guys that designed the P4 line are one step ahead of you however. One of the many things that makes Intel cpu's so good is the built in thermal monitoring. Depending on the model of the cpu chip it will first throttle back to cool itself and eventually shut itself off to prevent thermal distruction.
However why push your luck?
Artic Silver 5 while being pricey will reduce your temps considerately. Where as your cpu temp is 125.6F, thermal paste on the HS CPU junction will drop that at least 20 degs F.
The motherboard temps are high now 86F, due to thermal bleed off from the cpu getting so hot. They should drop as the cpu temps come down.
As for your hard drive being 104F, that's about average for those. Good front to back ventilation will bring that temp down some.

My P4 is a 2.4ghz and runs at an average temp of 76F. Good application of thermal paste along with good airflow through the case. I may get in the shit for this but drop by the computer mod section at my place and see some tips and tricks for keeping your baby cool.

cuz i saw some Arctic Silver 5 at radioshack yesterday.. and was wondering is it worth the extra 10 bucks.. i just want to know how much my temps would drop... but i'll end up gettin it..

definitely get it if you don't have any thermal paste atm. Though.. I kinda find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have anything between the cpu and the heatsink.

But anyway, it's only $10. So it's worth it. :p

Back
Top Bottom