Help (pt. 2)

I'm pretty sure the pushpins should be tight, been a while since I used them, if they're wiggling or loose I would say that they're still not right.

You should apply new thermal compound every time you seperate the two surfaces.

Read the Artic Silver application instructions for how to apply, be aware that AS5 takes up to 200 hours to settle in, use Isopropyl alcohol to clean off old paste.

52°C is still too hot at idle

Ok, well my neighbor is either going to come over later tonight or after work tomorrow. Thanks for all your help and I'll post what happens after I reapply the thermal paste. Two of the fasteners still wiggle, but they're locked in place and can't be pushed down any further so I think it should be ok; but I'll try to get them all tight. Good call Folder. *EDIT* Do I have to clean off the paste on just the heatsink and by 200 hours do you mean I can't turn it on for 200 hours or just can't OC before 200 hours? I'm not OCing anyway, if I was I would have installed the Zalman 9700nt I bought. I just don't want to take apart my whole pc now and install that, unless you guys highly recommend it.

Just check that the tabs are in the correct position, if they are rotated they will be in the disengage position and appear to be clipped in but will not actually be.

*EDIT* Do I have to clean off the paste on just the heatsink and by 200 hours do you mean I can't turn it on for 200 hours or just can't OC before 200 hours? I'm not OCing anyway, if I was I would have installed the Zalman 9700nt I bought. I just don't want to take apart my whole pc now and install that, unless you guys highly recommend it.
Clean both the heatsink and the cpu
200 hours and several power cycles is recommended to reach full heat conductive potential, it usualy gains you a couple of degrees in temperature decrease.
If you don't plan to oc and have good case ventilation then the stock cooler will suffice, I'd say give it a week or two and curiosity will get the better of you and you'll install the Zalman ;)

Personally I wouldn't be able to look at the Zalman still sitting in its box on the shelf

:D

Yeah, I know what you mean about the fan. I kinda want to install it but it's going to be a pain unplugging everything and taking everything out to install the Zalman. F--- it, I'm probably just going to do it.

Didn't even last two days let alone two weeks, :D

Now would be a good time to do it as you're going to remove the stock cooler anyway so "kill two birds with one stone" so to speak and put the Zalman in there, the bonus of that is that the push pins are gone from your pc. They have been known to come loose with the slightest bump so I reckon it's a good move.

It's a pain in the butt to have to remove the m/board from the case to put the backing plate on but you'll be impressed with the Zalman I'm sure.

EDIT: About the AS5, you run the pc straight away, you can oc straight away too, power cycles are running the pc then shutting it down to cool completely (several hours)

Back
Top Bottom