Worth the upgrade?

Chinny4290

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I have a question.

I currently have a AMD 64 4000+ San Diego Core @ 2.4 GHz with 3 gigs of ram, A8n-SLi Deluxe by ASUS.

My computer is slowly starting to show its age at 3 years (the break point in which computers are rendered completely obsolete).

I am on a tight budget and I'm just trying to upgrade my system slightly to last me until I can afford a complete makeover.

Is it worth it to upgrade from my 4000+ to a 4200+ X2? If so, Toledo or Manchester?

Should I spend some more to get a 4400 or a 4600? I would personally love an FX60 but those are running still near $400 for Socket 939 :(

Need your help guys!

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

in my opinion, save your money for a complete new build.

Unless there is an urgent need for a faster computer its not worth it - that $150 will be worth more to you when you get a new one than it is trying to make this one faster :)

I dunno if I'd call this urgent, but I just bought a 8800GTS G92 512MB by eVGA and I don't exactly want to experience any bottlenecking when it comes to gaming (currently running two 6800GSs 256MB by eVGA in SLi) and I just want to play COD4 and Crysis on full settings.

It's going to be a while until I do a complete makeover, in other words a new CPU, Mobo, ram etc. Probably not going to even happen until the summer.

Also, I plan on getting a third HD and try tooling around with Vista (running XP 32 bit SP2 Pro currently) because I have to learn Vista one way or another at some point and I want to tool around with DX10 all before the makeover.

Thanks for your help BTW.

If you want to upgrade now, the AMD 64 X2s are going for nothing even though they're not bad CPUs and anything from a 4000+ and up will go nicely with your shiny new 8800GTS. Your board uses the 939 socket, right? Consider this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103543
You'll find them even cheaper than that if you search around though. Also have you considered upgrading to the AM2 socket? As if would give you a much larger choice.

EDIT: What about this: AM2 mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138082
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103775
65nm architecture so it would overclock well.

Yea, as I mentioned in my OP, I'm going for the 4200+ X2 if anything. My question is should I spend "slightly" more to get a 4400+, and Toledo core or Manchester?

I would love to upgrade to socket AM2 but my budget doesn't allow for a new mobo and ram at the moment.

Do you have DDR RAM, if so that's too bad. But consider the socket 939 4200 because you will definitely notice a performance increase especially when you get your 8800GTS. If you decide not to upgrade now, then as soon as possible it should be a new mobo/CPU and RAM combo if you don't have DDR2 RAM.
The difference between a 4200+ X2 and a 4400+/4600+ X2 would be negligible so save your hard earned cash and you can OC a 4200 to that level and beyond anyway.

Well, it's your choice but if it's going to be a while before you can afford a new mobo, CPU and some DDR2 RAM then I would recommend the 4200. But if you think that new platform is just another $50 away then wait and save up.

Back
Top Bottom