Computer Died! :(

kevin b

Beta member
Well my computer died last friday. It was a gateway and they don't make that mobo anymore soooo I had to order a new mobo, processor, case, and power supply.

I know that I'll have to install windows when I everything comes in but will I have to purchase a new windows OS? I still have the re installation cd from gateway but curious as to if it will work.

Also, the hard drive I had I really need to keep untouched because I have a lot of important files on there. I do have an extra hard drive laying around that I can use. Would it be possible to re install using the extra and slave my old without reformatting it? Also, the one I want to keep is 500 gigs and the spare one i have is 200, is there a limit to how much space I can have?

Thanks for the help,
-Kevin

Are you using XP? If you are, then you should have no problem with how much space you have with your hdds. And yes, you can have your old hdd as a slave without reformatting. Although, I am not sure if you will have to purchase a new license key for installation of the OS or just give microsoft a call to get a new key.

Try just plugging the drive in, you never know your luck, it may boot, if not you might be able to install from the Gateway disks but I doubt it, only way to find out is to give it a try. All the drivers etc will be wrong because you have a new board and you will probably have to do a repair install which would need an OS disk as opposed to the Gateway Recovery Disks you have, but you've got nothing to lose so try it anyway.

Install Windows to the second hdd and slave the other as you have mentioned, you'll probably have to do this "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP" to access the data.

There is no space limit

EDIT: Sheeeeeeesh did it really take me 15 minutes to make that reply, I shouldn't have gone and made coffee

:D

Thanks, I'll give it a try.. I really am not looking forward to dropping $200 more into this but i don't have too much of a choice.

Try just plugging the drive in, you never know your luck, it may boot, if not you might be able to install from the Gateway disks but I doubt it, only way to find out is to give it a try. All the drivers etc will be wrong because you have a new board and you will probably have to do a repair install which would need an OS disk as opposed to the Gateway Recovery Disks you have, but you've got nothing to lose so try it anyway.

Install Windows to the second hdd and slave the other as you have mentioned, you'll probably have to do this "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP" to access the data.

There is no space limit

EDIT: Sheeeeeeesh did it really take me 15 minutes to make that reply, I shouldn't have gone and made coffee

:D

Oh yeah, I didnt think about that. If you have just a recovery disk, you may run into some problems. Like mentioned before, try it out. If it doesnt work, you gonna have to buy an OS.

You can get a copy of XP home edition for $90

only for upgrade, just borrow a 98 disc from someone and when it prompts for an os use it you dont have to have an os installed to upgrade i learned the hard way.

Ok, well I got my windows issue solved.. The lady at microsoft was very nice and reactivated my OEM version of windows for me so I didn't have to reformat :)

Now I'm facing some weird issue where my rig keeps shutting down after about 15 minutes of being turned on. I downloaded speedfan and notice that 2 of my temps are slightly high and rising.

Back
Top Bottom