Changing

He won't be able to get that unless he upgrades his memory. Best thing for him to do is to save some money, upgrade the motherboard, and then upgrade the RAM. DDR is a lost cause. DDR2 is already mainstream to the max with DDR3 as top of the line. Expensive might I add.

Usually when people upgrade that much, they'll likely end up rebuidling the whole PC.

Ok, so what is the best thing I can do with what I have and all that yall have told me?

re-read post #7 for my answer....

that's the best you can do with changing out only the motherboard and getting an AGP graphics card.....

unless you want to buy another case, motherboard, processor, memory, power supply, and a pci-e graphics card to upgrade to pci-e graphics (the cd drive/dvd drives would be about the only thing from the dimension 3000 you could reuse in a completely new build).

Alrighty thanks, how hard is that process of replacing a motherboard in my computer? And also what would you recomend I get for a new motherboard with my computer?

replacing the 3000 motherboard with the 4600 motherboard is easy..just take the 3000 board out, take off the processor/heat sink and ram, put in the 4600 board, and put the ram and processor/heatsink (with some new thermal paste on the processor) back onto the new 4600 motherboard...now you can get an agp card rather than being stuck with a pci card on the 3000's board.

as far as recommending a motherboard...the dimension 4600 board is the only other board that will work in that dell 3000 case...if you want any other motherboard, you might as well build a whole new computer.

K, thanks....what difference would it make with a 4600 instead of a 3000? Would it make much?....by the way thanks for helping me..

well, you have a celeron processor which is a step down from the intel pentium 4 @ 3Ghz processor I have....keeping that in mind,,, my results in changing to the 4600 motherboard were ok, basically going from a pci only graphics card (nvidia FX5500 i think it was) to an agp card (nvidia 7600GS) and can play some games on low settings now where they wouldn't even play before at all...they are still not great though so i gave up on games on the computer till i can do a new build with a core 2 duo, and i'm just using a ps2 for games.

Alrighty thanks...i'm stuck with this computer for a long time, so i might as well do the switch...thanks.

sure..glad i could help. just remember that by the time you get the motherboard for about $100 and get an agp card for about another 100 then if you were going to do all that you might as well get the better processor for another 80 or so you're already up to about $280 (with the shipping and all)....that would be almost $300 towards a much better system if you built a dual core set up with more modern ram and a pci-e card...i personally would not have upgraded this one if i would have known ahead of time that it was not going to be much of an improvement (and i have 2GB of ram too), so if i were you i would put the upgrade money towards a completely new build.

But can i replace my processor with this computer? Because somebody was telling me I can't do that and the only thing I could do was to be able to replace my mother board because my processor is integrated or something, I'm not sure, I don't know a whole lot about computers, but a pretty good bit to get by though....

Back
Top Bottom