C or D drive?

killthenakedcat

In Runtime
I have a dilemma...I have 2 drives in the hard drive from my old comp...a D and a C drive...C drive has all the files that I want on it(music movies games) but my D drive...what's on that and can I use that for the XP installation drive? it says D: (RECOVERY) FAT32 next to it or do I have to do it on the C drive?

Ok, so that means the C drive is your primary (boot) drive and the D is your secondary. If you install an OS on a drive with files on it the data will be lost (unless it's an upgrade from an older OS). So, you need to switch the drives on the IDE cable. The drive with data on it needs to be connected to the middle IDE connector and the empty drive at the end. The result will be that drive C will become D (or E) and D will become C. Windows will install on C.

Oh, and make sure that the drive on the middle IDE connector has the jumper set to "slave".

it's not a second hard drive, it's just a second partition on you hard drive for the recovery information. You must have like an hp or something. If you have an actual windows disk and it does not need that partition to install you could very well do it, but chances are this is not the case on either point.

And to corey:
I could have a hard drive labeled Z: and install the os on it, it just matters what partition the boot loader points to, the drive letter won't mean crap.

@Corey, you set the installation path in the Windows installation. If you don't want C:\WINDOWS, you can use D:\MACPWNS if you want. You can even go further in your directory tree if you want.

Back
Top Bottom