who wants a nuke? toshiba is going to make that dream come true

how about a magnetic field?

i believe thats how they keep the reaction contained, although im not sure how they are planning on turning the massive amounts of energy given off by heat into electrical energy... the only bad thing about fusion is if it gets out of control, its impossible to stop and it will break through any barrier except magnetism, so its a touchy new development

The whole whole process is self sustaining and can last for up to 40 years, producing electricity for only 5 cents per kilowatt hour, about half the cost of grid energy.

Toshiba expects to install the first reactor in Japan in 2008
well, we'll find out next month...

but more importantly. half the price of grid energy is a bit of a svaing I agree... but, who want's to pay for 40 years worth of energy bills in one go? to put a reactor in their basement, potentially making their house unsellable glueing them to a single spot for 40 years, upon which point they'll probably be either dead, or mighty pissed at people digging up their home to remove the nuclear reactor that they'd got under the basement!

more to the point, why would you bother buying a nuclear reactor, whilst I'm not sure of the prices, I'll bet that it'd still be cheaper to invest in energy efficient house design, windows walls insulation etc, and apliances and fit solar pannels or simillar... (and that last more than 40 years)...

short of having your own chernobyle/long island in your basement, why would you actually want a nuclear reactor. it's hardly a saving or a cool statement is it!

One thing about the disposal, is that after this stuff has gone through the reactor, the radioactive particles are so weak they can be stopped by a piece of paper. The giant armored trucks, and holes in mountains are only because the public is paranoid and won't except it being disposed of in any other way.

One thing about the disposal, is that after this stuff has gone through the reactor, the radioactive particles are so weak they can be stopped by a piece of paper. The giant armored trucks, and holes in mountains are only because the public is paranoid and won't except it being disposed of in any other way.

Some of it is quite dangerous, we have a huge radioactivity problem ina city about 4 hours away from here that processes nuclear waste.

Some of it is quite dangerous, we have a huge radioactivity problem ina city about 4 hours away from here that processes nuclear waste.
thats is probaly true, I was just stating something they told us in 6th grade science class.

Back
Top Bottom