who wants a nuke? toshiba is going to make that dream come true

dj please explain the differences in nuclear fuel... i though it was all the same basic thing... the splitting of an atom to create power

I was reading about this on another forum, and I would buy one. After the intial investment, you've got free power for life; and as much of it as you can use. run all you lights and tv and radio and computer 24/7 and get anywhere near maxing out the system.

dj please explain the differences in nuclear fuel... i though it was all the same basic thing... the splitting of an atom to create power

Their's many many different types of plutonium, some will work for weapons, some will not. Some are highly radioactive, some are fairly safe. With the safer fuels, neither the fuel nor the waste would be effective for a weapon.

hmm if they could make one thats harmless if exposed to and wont explode and kill thousands and is easy to get ride of sounds like the only logical fuel to use

hmm if they could make one thats harmless if exposed to and wont explode and kill thousands and is easy to get ride of sounds like the only logical fuel to use

well if exposed to it you could be contaminated, but weapons grade plutonium and nuclear fuel plutonium are two different things

The initial fuel is Uranium...which decays into Plutonium. The Plutonium can also be used as fuel though. Some reactors require highly refined uranium, which is what is required for atomic bombs. I guess if they used lower grade uranium, it wouldn't really pose (as much of) a threat.

Modern nuclear reactors use fission (splitting atoms) which produces radioactive waste. That technology won't work for long - the amount of waste accumulating is too much, and you can't really safely get rid of it.

What needs to be developed is a stable nuclear fusion reactor. Fusion combines the nuclear particles, which releases energy. This is what happens in the stars (i.e. the Sun), and in nuclear bombs. Unfortunately, scientists haven't been able to figure out a way to control the reaction. The real benefit of fusion is that it produces very little waste in comparison to fission. Whoever figures out how to make a reliable fission reactor is going to be veryyy rich.

They have fusion reactors in testing.. i watched it on the science channel. :) really neat stuff

Back
Top Bottom