memtest question

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so i downloaded memtest and burned it on a cd, then i restarted my computer to run the memtest, i was able to run the memtest, but only for awhile, in about 14% of test 2, it becomes an unexpected interrupted halt, ive tried it with all 4 of my ram sticks, and tried it on 2 different mobo/processor. and every one of them stopped at the same place. it runs perfectly when i use it.
i.e go online, listen to music, play games, OC.
any idea whats wrong?
seems kind of weird that all 4 ram sticks would stop at the same spot...

i used the Memtest86 v3.4 ISO image from memtest86.com

i downloaded the 1.7 version and now im testing my ram.
another question.
if the memory past test #5 and #8 (or all), then that means the memory controller on the cpu is working correctly, and that its the mobo thats holding back on the dual channel right?

If Memtest86+ runs through 4-5 passes (complete sets) then your ram is fine, and that's all it means, I like to test for 8 hours (usually overnight otherwise I get pc withdrawal)

Dual channel is determined by the slots used on the m/board, the only thing that would affect it re the ram is if the modules are not the same. If you have identical modules in the correct configuration (refer to your manual for this) and it is not running in dual channel then the m/board (or possibly a bios setting) is not working/set correctly

does the processor have anything to do with it?
if any one can, can someone post the pin schematics for an athlon 64 X2, i tried searching in the amd site, and i cant find it.
thanks in advance

hmm, i thought i read somewhere that the AMD K8 version of processors have memory controller in the cpu, so if the memory controller part of the cpu is busted, that means it can only got single channel and not dual channel. is it true or false?
if thats not true, then guess i have to find the receipt and return the motherboard.

not too sure on that mate, I haven't had a lot to do with AMD processors.

Google search results seem to support that information though, do you have the latest nForce drivers installed?

Wiki said:
Note 1: For traditional processors, the multiplier is the value multiplied by the speed of the FSB to get the clock speed of the processor. Athlon 64, FX, and Opteron processors have a memory controller integrated on the CPU die, replacing the traditional concept of FSB. The memory controller runs at the same frequency as the CPU itself, and is able to run the system memory at 200 MHz (using PC-3200 memory sticks) or at lower speeds (when using slower PC-1600, PC-2100 or PC-2700 RAM). Between the CPU and the chipset, HyperTransport is used, with a speed of 800 MHz (Socket 754, one OEM-only Socket 939, older Socket 940, Socket S1, Socket AM2 Semprons) or 1 GHz (almost all Socket 939, newer Socket 940, Socket AM2 Athlons). The multiplier here applies to the 200 MHz system clock frequency, not the HyperTransport speed.

SOURCE

Back
Top Bottom