Help!

Szat

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I'm trying to set up my new computer but I already hit a problem. I got the cpu in the motherboard, but when I tried to lock it in place it won't go down without having to use a lot of force. It even looks like the the metal load plate is bending. I have all the pins lined up as well. I have an Intel Q6600 on this mobo

Have you removed all the covers and aligned the notch (bottom left corner of the socket) with the notch in the cpu??

Can you post a picture? mate this is easy shit, if you're having trouble already i have to ask if you know what you're doing.

it is easy, and ive done this once before, but i sure dont remember it requiring this much force. Everything is lined up and fits into the notches, but what can happen if i do push too hard? wouldn't the cpu break? should i not bother and return the motherboard? I would need quite a lot of force to get it in.

Post a pic mate, I might be able to see something you're missing, you say you've assembled a socket 775 pc before so I guess you'd know if the force required is excessive.

Here is the cpu in the socket. I'm pushing down on it and at the point where my finger is I get a lot more resistance. Everything seems fine with the ZIF and the cpu is inserted correctly.

I have a friend of mine saying it should be fine, even with this resistance; and none of the pins have bent with the amount of force we've used so far. Should I just keep going with it? or get a new mobo? If newegg doesn't accept my returned cpu, then I'm screwed! :-/

From what I can make out from the pic it all looks good, mate if you're sure the covers have all been removed and the cpu is lined up correctly in the socket then I'd say lock the bugger down, honestly if it is all correct you can't damage anything. The position of the lever indicates that it is just taking up on the cpu so yes there will be increased resistance from that point down to locking.

EDIT gave me heart failure there, I misread your post lol, I'll stick with the above post, though this still concerns me

It even looks like the the metal load plate is bending

Well I went all the way without hearing anything snap in two. I think I'm just overly nervous about the whole process, cause of the $$ I spent.

I hear you, it can be worrying for sure. if anything was incorrect the locking lever would not have reached the lock position, I'd say you're fine.

;)

Back
Top Bottom