So on tinkering with computers..

jon the noob

In Runtime
I have been working on various programming endeavors etc. but I don't know a whole lot about the inside of computers, I'm gonna get a book to help me learn about all the parts etc but i was wondering

If i wanted to just mess around with an old computer I have
Is it safe to open any computer up without antistatic gear? I dont wanna get electrocuted or fry my computer

I'm currently working on the stone floor of my garage with jeans and a cotton t shirt on

thanks

i'm guessing not and i dont mind getting a wrist wrap
just wanted to know

well, just dont open it up with it still on ;)

damage from Electro-Static Discharge (ESD) is unlikely at best, and being electrocuted by your computer is almsot impossible (unless you happen to somehow short the big capacitors in the power supply).

Its good practice to just make sure you dont havea ny static on you by touching something like a metal radiator (or if your computer is plugged in and turned off) just touch the case.

computers can take a fair bit of "punishment" especially the older ones.

well, just dont open it up with it still on ;)

damage from Electro-Static Discharge (ESD) is unlikely at best, and being electrocuted by your computer is almsot impossible (unless you happen to somehow short he big capacitors in teh power supply).

Its good practice to just make sure you dont havea ny static on you by touching something like a metal radiator (or if your computer is plugged in and turned off) just touch the case.

computers can take a fair bit of "punishment" especially the older ones.

ok cool yeah I just wanted to sort of have a look around the inside and get to know it better

I might be getting a graphic card for christmas and I want to try changing it myself so I'm studying up :cool:

And if you press the powerbutton whilst it's unplugged, it discharges the capacitors on the PSU - So you cant get a shock from that either... (i think :D)

hehe, well its pretty simple since most computers share the same main parts (even the older ones)

the most important thing to remeber is if something doesnt fit or go in like it should dont force it!! its not going in for a reason :D

also, make sure everything is the right way around - like making sure the processor is the right way around in the socket, the memory is the right way up in the slot and so on

hehe, well its pretty simple since most computers share the same main parts (even the older ones)

the most important thing to remeber is if something doesnt fit or go in like it should dont force it!! its not going in for a reason :D

also, make sure everything is the right way around - like making sure the processor is the right way around in the socket, the memory is the right way up in the slot and so on

Damn, lot of empty space in here :eek:

One final question , how did you all get so good at this?

I know many people on here build their own PC's and know how to wire it up and everything. Is it just practice, or can you recommend a book or anything?

a lot of it you can't get wrong. Power connectors for example they are not the same, some are bigger and its only a matter of getting the right one in the right place. Most connectors will only go in one way they just will not fit any other way.

Also, most switches/jumpers have written down for example:
_____
| +5v |===========
| GND|===========
|+12V|===========

Which matches writting that is (very small print) on the motherboard itself. Anything else is learned with the internet (Wikipedia is a good source) and books on building your own computer - there are planty of them around.

i'm learning how to build my own computer, I bought three different books, but the one I've found the most helpful was "building a PC for Dummies", Just remember this ain't rocket science. If you can play with legos, you can build a computer.

well dont touch the gold connectors. its fairly easy. plug them in and make sure its tight in. and install drivers(make sure power cable is not plugged in)

And if you press the powerbutton whilst it's unplugged, it discharges the capacitors on the PSU - So you cant get a shock from that either... (i think :D)

that is a true statement :)

yea, all i do is make sure its plugged in, but off, and just make sure you touch some metal part of the case to use the ground on the computer to in-turn ground you, just do this after walking around a bit to be extra sure you dont fry anything, its nothin to worry about really...

and to answer your question about how we got so good, well me anyway, i taught myself, ive been interested in electronics since day 365, literally... at age 1 i got my first electronics set and began fiddling with it, around 7 i got into computers, just messing with old ones i bought cheap from the state and seeing what fried, what didnt, and now im to the point where i feel comfortable working on rigs that cost $500+ and not screwing it up... if you work at it for a year if that, you will surprise yourself at how much you learn and no know... just keep workin at it :)

Back
Top Bottom