New Machine

Fot the RAM, get 4x1GB or 2x2GB of Corsair XMS2 800MHz. The reason the Q6600 doesn't perform as well in games at the moment is because those games aren't threaded for the quad, so the cores won't be used as efficiently as the 2 cores on the duo. In 6 months time, most new games with the threaded for quad cores, then you'll see the advantages.

Yeah I remember reading that, that's right. Still, I play a lot of older FPS games, doubt I'll be into many of the upcoming ones anyway :p Just as a note, the Q6600 is actually exactly $40 cheaper in Australia than the E6850. I won't be running windows 64x anyway, not for a long time. Mainly because of what you mentioned, the way the games are designed.. and 99% of games are still basically 32x... I think.

First of all. We are here helping you for free. We help you build your computer and ask nothing in return and you just complain because we aren't fast enough?
Right... sounds kinda stupid doesn't it, almost makes me want to just end this post here and not to help you.

But anyway

which OS are you using? If it's xp then I'd stay with 2gb of ram. It should be enough for the time being. And if your xp is 32bit then it can only support a maximum of 3.25gb so having 4gb wouldn't be that smart since you couldn't use all of it. If it's vista then 4gb of ram sounds very good.

As for the timings, don't look at them too much. They provide only little changes in performance. IMO buying ram with low timings is a waste of money since usually you will pay a lot just for having low timings. You will notice the difference between timings in benchmarks and stuff like that, but as I said the performance difference isn't huge.

Overall the build looks really good, good luck with it!

edit: ohh and as for the hdd stuff, just get a normal 7200rpm SATA II drive. 10 000rpm drives would load stuff like maps a lot faster, but then again the $ per gb is much higher. The 7200rpm hdd's will be fast enough.

mammikoura -> It came out of frustration from trying other forums, where I had again only 1 reply, if at all. I appreciate the help, don't doubt it.

I'll probably be using vista 32bit, but I'm not 100% sure on vista and how the different drivers are currently affecting games etc, so not really sure. Plus I'd have to buy vista slightly later as right now I'm on a budget.

I think 2GB will be enough to start off with, I plan on spending quite a bit on the machine in the months following the purchase. Modifications, cooling systems - o/c CPU etc. Maybe do some case project to stick it all in, who knows. Point is I'll most likely just run vista 32bit with 4GB of the current RAM stick I chose, eventually.

Cheers

What do you think about the motherboard and graphics card?

Any comments on those? Or perhaps as was pointed out previously, maybe spending the budget differently... Eg. what would you buy for that budget

Thanks

When you get vista I'd just go with the 64 bit one. Lot's of advantages and vista is basically designed around the 64 bit system and all your hardware will be new so there will definitely be 64 bit drivers. So you shouldn't have many problems with compatability. And the main advantage of the 64 bit system for you would be the memory support. As I said 32 bit can only support up to 3.25gb of ram.

But right now 2gb and xp seems like a good choise, especially when you are on a budget. And the good thing with ram is that if you want to buy more later it's basically just plug and play.

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I didn't think the 8800GTS was worth it over the 8800GT, I'd stick with the 680i chipset as you have the option of going SLI.

NUDGE. I have to get some comments on this please guys I'm wanting to buy this in a day or two, why the fuck does nobody ever reply to my threads, do u people not like my name or some shit? Fucking hell, are PERSONAL OPINIONS that hard to come by these days?

You can't come here and treat members like this, You are getting a 24 hour timeout.

Back
Top Bottom