Using internet on Ubunut thru XP...

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Hiya,

i want to know how i can access the internet on my computer that has ubuntu installed (Ubuntu Feisty) through a LAN, with my laptop thats on XP so that i can install WINE ..

how do i go about setting it up - anyone know?

Thanks

Bryn :D

So...Let me see if I understand you correctly. You have ubuntu on one computer, and xp running on your laptop. You want to connect to it through a LAN most likely a router, or switch. Then from that connection you want to install WINE, on your xp computer. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

If what I am saying is correct. You don't need to install WINE with one your xp computer. WINE is an emulator. That is made to emulate programs that run on windows.

If you want to connect your ubuntu computer to your xp computer you have a couple of options. The first is through VNC. If you use that you would need to install a vnc viewer on your xp computer. This is also the graphical way. The second way is to SSH into the computer. I like this way better personally. If you like to use command line or know how this might be the way for you. You would still need to download a program like putty.

I hope that this has helped. If I am totally off then let me know and I will re-elav. your question.

Cheers!

thanks for answering, what im trying to do is download WINE to the computer that has Ubuntu by using the internet connection of a computer that has XP - that is use the internet conection to download it by sharing the connection on the computer with XP :)

OK. My first question is do u have a router? Because it sounds like one only can have one computer connected at a time. A router would allow both computers to connect at the same time. Since you have a laptop you might want to get a wireless router.

Since you have Ubuntu installed on one of your computers it is really easy to install WINE all that you need to do is open a terminal window. Next type this at the prompt:
Code:
will@running:~$ sudo apt-get install wine
[sudo] password for will:

Then it will ask you for your sudo password then it will go about installing WINE.
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
wine is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
I already have WINE on my computer, but it will read the package lists first. Then build the dependency tree. Next it will read the state inforamtion, and then keep on going.

Code:
sudo apt-get install
Is one of the most important things that you can use to install programs without having to use a GUI.

SUDO stands for SUPER USER DO.

I hope this is a little bit more along the lines of what you need.

Cheers!

yeah we have a router, but i dont have a wireless adapter and the computer is only 2 feet or so away (plus using netwroking cable is faster)

and thats soo much for the instructions how to install WINE i read that on the website but didnt undertant it - all i have to donow is get them connected :D

I would still recommend using
Code:
sudo apt-get install wine
That will install the repositories automatically. This is in your ubuntu machine that is.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom