Upgrade Time

Yep, time for me to take my pc one notch higher. thing is, i only have 46$ right now, although im selling some of my stuff to my cousin, so after that ill have a grand total of 311$ and i will be out a motherboard\graphics card. this means i wont have a pc for a while :eek:. hopefully wont be too long.

here is my planned upgrades

Motherboard
its got everything i want for the next couple of years. it has phenom support so when the spring time comes and i have a job again, i can upgrade to that. also it has PCI-E 2.0 so i will have the latest video card interface aswell. its DDR2 1066 standard so when i stick my DDR2 800 in there ill have some head room :) it should OC my 3600+ past my previous record of 2.7ghz, since it was my chipset that was holding me back. also it has 8 channel audio\digital out which will save me money on a sound card (im not overly concerned about the quality)

only concerns is the chipset cooling as D-Lew pointed out. since im going to OC the crap outta my hardware. think its worth investing in some better cooling?

Graphics Card
enough said here, good improvement over my 8800GTS although its gonna cost me 40$ in the end to get from my 8800GTS to a 8800GT, it should last me longer. ill also be able to try out the new PCI-E 2.0 platform when i pair this up with my motherboard.

if i get my new monitor for x-mas my build will be 100% complete. i cant wait til i get my lil paws on that GT. i feel slightly spoiled almost, although this whole computer minus the gifts have come from my blood\sweat\tears :p

depends on what kind of games come out and how far my OC goes on my cpu. i so want a car, but i think i can strike up a deal with parents if i wanna get something like a 1000$ car or something. im only 14 but it takes a while to save that kind of money.

Are you upgrading again? I thought you just did that recently? I always thought that the 8800GTS were suppose to be better than the 8800GT video cards. But if you plan on OCing that motherboard to the max, I would suggest aftermarket cooling and even to the point of water cooling.

i have the G90 version of the 8800GTS which is far inferior to the 8800GT. also i bought my GTS back in august, havent used it much at all though, but i need this PC to last a while. i plan on doing buying a phenom and just riding this PC out for over a year, maybe 2 years unless i find an IT job before im 18. than ill probably just buy the best money can buy since i wont have any time to "game" in my spare time with my hopeful career.

im might do water cooling when i pick up my phenom, but for now i want to stick with air. too expensive.

What are you running right now, don't you have an 8800GTX?

evga 8800GTS 320mb

OK, this isn't exactly about Rudster's upgrade, but I just want to settle this once and for all: Does the 8800GT use up all of the bandwidth of the PCI-EX16 slot? Can somebody PLEASE give me a definitive answer? I'm really need to know!

OK, this isn't exactly about Rudster's upgrade, but I just want to settle this once and for all: Does the 8800GT use up all of the bandwidth of the PCI-EX16 slot? Can somebody PLEASE give me a definitive answer? I'm really need to know!

It doesn't.

Yep, time for me to take my pc one notch higher. thing is, i only have 46$ right now, although im selling some of my stuff to my cousin, so after that ill have a grand total of 311$ and i will be out a motherboard\graphics card. this means i wont have a pc for a while :eek:. hopefully wont be too long.

here is my planned upgrades

Motherboard
its got everything i want for the next couple of years. it has phenom support so when the spring time comes and i have a job again, i can upgrade to that. also it has PCI-E 2.0 so i will have the latest video card interface aswell. its DDR2 1066 standard so when i stick my DDR2 800 in there ill have some head room :) it should OC my 3600+ past my previous record of 2.7ghz, since it was my chipset that was holding me back. also it has 8 channel audio\digital out which will save me money on a sound card (im not overly concerned about the quality)

only concerns is the chipset cooling as D-Lew pointed out. since im going to OC the crap outta my hardware. think its worth investing in some better cooling?

Graphics Card
enough said here, good improvement over my 8800GTS although its gonna cost me 40$ in the end to get from my 8800GTS to a 8800GT, it should last me longer. ill also be able to try out the new PCI-E 2.0 platform when i pair this up with my motherboard.

if i get my new monitor for x-mas my build will be 100% complete. i cant wait til i get my lil paws on that GT. i feel slightly spoiled almost, although this whole computer minus the gifts have come from my blood\sweat\tears :p
actually im only buying the motherboard, i came across some money and am going to buy an 8800gt instead. hes probally gonna kill me.

Back
Top Bottom