Multiple SATA HDDs...

Yes, and thankyou very much. But I am just trying to rub in the fact that this has nothing to do with RAID, because I do not want to use it.

Don't get upset at a member trying to help. However due to the fact you can boot with the 320 proves that you have the correct drivers for the drive and don't need any SATA drivers.

I have seen this problem before, it's a fairly odd and very confusing and random problem. You have boot files on multiple hard drives. How exactly did you install the OS, did you install it with all the hard drives plugged in, or just one? Also what is the drive letter of the windows drive?

The first thing I would try removing all but the 320GB HD, and inserting your windows CD. Go into the repair console and once you are at the prompt run "FIXBOOT" and "FIXMBR". This will rewrite all the necessary boot files to your 320GB drive. For whatever reason some of them could have been written to a different drive, seen it happen many times.

Tell me how this goes :)

Thankyou DJ-Chris. I want to stress that although I really appreciate Lowndsey's help, I mentioned over and over that I don't have RAID and i'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with it but he kept talking about installing them. Words in CAPITALS for me is just to stress the word not express anger.

When we installed Windows XP, the 320gb hdd was the only one put in. Last night my brother managed to fix the computer... however, he needed to replace one hdd with another as they're only temporary while he gets the DATA off. When he did that, he got the problem again. If he swapped back to the hard-drive, where everything WAS working, the problem is still there.

I'm not sure what the drive letter of the Windows drive is. Thankyou
-Rhys

the reason I was mentioning the drivers Rhys is that everywhere on google i researched was suggesting that you need the drivers regardless of the setup being used. I have just always installed the drivers whether using raid or not also. After reading DJ Chris's post obviously you dont ..you learn something everyday...I also learnt today not to help unappreciative in considerate people. And personally I take capirals as anger and shouting.

Lowndsey, I did very much appreciate your help - thankyou. But there is a difference between whether it was helpful and whether I'm thankful for your attempt. The way people express themselves online is extremely flawed because you cannot see their body language or their facial expressions - you may interpret it as one way when it is something completely different on the other end.

I meant no harm through trying to make my points clear that I didn't need RAID. My apologies.

the reason I was mentioning the drivers Rhys is that everywhere on google i researched was suggesting that you need the drivers regardless of the setup being used. I have just always installed the drivers whether using raid or not also. After reading DJ Chris's post obviously you dont ..you learn something everyday...I also learnt today not to help unappreciative in considerate people. And personally I take capirals as anger and shouting.

Well for most SATA controllers, you still need to install the drivers :) Some of them you don't, but the amount of times i've had to dig out a floppy drive to install SATA/RAID drivers for motherboards is annoying :rolleyes:

So drivers cannot be installed after you've booted XP?
What about making a boot CD? I don't have a floppy drive, that's all.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom