So much for the DVD DVR Player!

So my DVD/VHS DVR player came today soon after I rush down and pick up a HDMI cable and come back to the house and get everything hooked up. About 15 minutes later i'm playing with the settings and get all the record options down.

Guess what I can't record from HBO or Starz. I get a message saying I can't record a copy protected show. WTF? I can record them to my Dish DVR without any problems. The DVD DVR records anything that isn't on HBO or Starz though tried that out as well. That works fine.

Anyway to get around this copy protection? I don't see anything wrong with this thread because what i'm trying to do is not illegal right? I've recorded shows off HBO and stuff that I record onto VHS. If its wrong Dish network wouldn't let me DVR them right?

I wonder would it be possible to record onto the VHS side of the player then use the dub feature on the player to dub what I just recorded onto VHS onto the dvd it wouldn't let me record in the first place since its copy protected? For some reason I bet I can do that but thats going to be a pain in the ass.

This could be something to do with the new HDMI standard that allows programs to carry copy protection. HDMI 1.5 I believe?

I've heard that if you don't have a compatable cable, or a compatable piece of hardware, it doesn't record, or simply messes up while playing back.

Don't hold me 100% on this though.

There should be someway of getting it working though I'd think.

This could be something to do with the new HDMI standard that allows programs to carry copy protection. HDMI 1.5 I believe?

I've heard that if you don't have a compatable cable, or a compatable piece of hardware, it doesn't record, or simply messes up while playing back.

Don't hold me 100% on this though.

There should be someway of getting it working though I'd think.

Well I just tried hooking it through composite and get the same copy protected message so I don't think thats the problem. What a bunch of BS. I guess I mainly got it to record TV series but still the movie every once and again would be nice from HBO.

I'm happy though that I can pause the recording to cut commercials though was worried I wouldn't be able to do that.

run the DVR's output to something like a regular DVD\VHS player and route that to the IN on the DVD-RW, that might screw up the HD\etc, but it might ruin the protection HBO\Starz has

Okay here is how I have it connected.

My Dish network receiver goes to Line 1 In on the DVD-R player.

HDMI output goes from the DVD-R player to the TV HDMI input.

Audio out goes to my audio Receiver.

Then as a second loop to test Kage's theory I ran composites from Video out on the DVD-R to Video in on the TV which also detected the copy protection.

Rudster if I route the DVR out to another DVD player in how am I getting the TV signal to the DVD-R?

Edit I see what your saying now missed it at first although that sounds like a royal pain. Basically you want me to run my audio/video cables from my Dish DVR to another DVD players in then run another series of audio/video cables from the out on that dvd player to the in on my DVD-R player then run the HDMI out through that to output back to the tv.

Ya see my edit I got what you were saying after I re read it. I think i'll try dubbing VHS then do a DVD dub from that first and see how that goes. Besides my other dvd player was my PS2 and my only other DVD player is in the living room for that TV. I'll try it if the above doesn't work. Gotta try it in the am though getting ready to go to work.

do it like this, since HDCP (something to do with copy protection) can't work over component :)

tvdiagramyz5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom