Massive White Screens

Its nice to be back posting those white pages started about 12AM UK time I started a thread about it straight away as well, so we think it was an a attack from a banned member then? how did David fix it then reset the server or something?

david, add a couple min. to the time i posted my 1st post, around 3min. and youll get the time when every thread\forum started giving everyone white screens.

Its a Denial of Service attack probably from a pissed off banned member.
If it is, you'd have thought I'd have been one of the targets, but I haven't seen a white screen for ages & ages, I've changed my password recently, I suggest that those plagued in this way do the same, just as a precaution, [a word of advice a mix of numbers & letters is good] :)

dos attacks work by overloading the server mate, it has nothing to do with individuals, passwords or forum accounts. The attacker sends packets of information from multiple computers at the same time to overload the server.

Imagine it to be like if every member of CF logged on at once and continually hit refresh, the server doesn't have enough bandwidth to cope so it white screens.

Hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

dos attacks work by overloading the server mate, it has nothing to do with individuals, passwords or forum accounts. The attacker sends packets of information from multiple computers at the same time to overload the server.

Imagine it to be like if every member of CF logged on at once and continually hit refresh, the server doesn't have enough bandwidth to cope so it white screens.

Hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

Im not sure if im right here - but if i am assuming that the main forum screen is cached (not by our browser, by the server). If that is so, then a DOS attack would mean you cou8ldnt see even the main screen. My theory is that the reason we get WSOD'S is that Apache has crashed....

surely though, that should only last a few minutes, and hour at the most?
I guess it would last as long as the perpetrator ran the attack

Im not sure if im right here - but if i am assuming that the main forum screen is cached (not by our browser, by the server). If that is so, then a DOS attack would mean you cou8ldnt see even the main screen. My theory is that the reason we get WSOD'S is that Apache has crashed....
It is quite possible you are correct, I'm not entirely convinced it is a DDoS attack either, I just wanted to assure Brookfield that a DDoS attack on the forum couldn't target individuals in the manner he was suggesting.

I haven't had a single white screen error for months. Are you guys refreshing the page or just clicking the link again?

i do both, it goes to the front page but its although its been cached and it never changes (sometimes (and rarely) doesn't change for hours) but refreshing, clicking back/forwards and typing in the URL all gets a white page :(

If apache had crashed, then the main page wouldn't come up either

Back
Top Bottom