Wireless security info. Are you really secure?

BullDog(UK)

In Runtime
This is a very important subject when it comes to the internet, wireless connections, home and business networks etc.

Today, I'm going to concentrating on wireless connections to the internet from home networks.

Here's a list of things that does not work when it comes to wireless security.

1) W.E.P (wired equivalent privacy).

2) M.A.C (media access control) filtering.

3) S.S.I.D (service set identifier) hiding.

The above three examples are completely useless as security from the determined hacker and should never be used if you do a lot of online banking etc.

W.E.P, S.S.I.D and M.A.C filtering are only useful for helping prevent inadvertent access from other users of wireless networks locally, but are totally useless for preventing the determined hacker with the right software/hardware from gaining access to your network.

The only real option for home users is WPA-PSK (TKIP), which stands for Wi-Fi protected access – pre shared key (temporal key integrity protocol) this option is virtually uncrackable if implemented correctly.

For this method to work you need to use a 63 character random key for example;

Key: El&$x0raq0H%/Ftfhxh#Fb&%'A>pRvG`-q2PhrU0`e@5*"i":6UJaU"9|;WI'KO

Using a key this random will for home users make your wireless network ultra secure so long as you keep the key safe.

Remember that the home user normally uses a NAT (network address translation) Router which may support SPI (stateful packet inspection) if they have a wireless network connected to the internet. So really you could have 3 forms of security before a potential hacker can even gain access to your Computer from the internet.

NAT, SPI and WPA-PSK (TKIP) setup correctly will make your network ultra secure from hackers trying to gain access from the internet. Also by adding a software firewall onto your Computer you will help prevent spyware, adware and other malious programs from infecting yourself, others and/or phoning home.

I hope this post makes people aware of the risks of poorly secured wireless networks.

BullDog(UK)

Funny you should post this, I was going to ask a bit about it.

I dont have any security on my wireless network. My main thought was that i only get about 65% signal as is myself. so anyone from the outside trying to hack in physically would have a hard job!

i do have software firewall installed as well.

one thing i was wondering is: does having wep enabled slow data transfer?

Good post bulldog

jay8990 said:
one thing i was wondering is: does having wep enabled slow data transfer?

No not at all.

Also you mentioned your signal levels being low would make it difficult for someone to gain access to your network, well if I was roaming around looking to gain access to someones unsecure wireless network, I'd have a beam or a vertical antenna, which will improve my chances for getting a good connection by a considerable margin.

I've just been outside with my laptop (for testing purposes) and found 5 local (2 to 3 miles radius) unsecure wireless networks and 1 WPA secured network.

If I was a hacker I could use one of those unsecure wireless connections to access the internet and not worry about getting traced, as it isn't my connection.

My advice is, if you have a router that supports WPA-PSK use it.

jay8990 said:
Good post bulldog

BullDog(UK)

Back
Top Bottom