This Forum

I think we've lost more than 2 good members over the years

Yes.. yes we have.

A lot of people don't leave for much in particular.. some just leave because they become busy, as I've been known to do.

Its interesting though.. looking back at past threads from say 2006, or 2005.. and see how many of the old members who used to post with us.. how many of them are gone and banned now.

Ya this does get frustrating sometimes. I kind of saw the big crash comming though. I always open a thread in a new tab and for a while I was getting new tab's with PHP errors or something to that effect.

Then last night I tried several times to get on. The home page would load but you couldn't get into any sections.

I had the same white screen

This is an error, we already switched servers to a new fast server. From what I understand it's a database problem, and you cant simply throw money at it to fix it.

We could fix the problem right now, but we would loose all the posts.

can you explain?

From David's previous posts it's a database problem, something wrong with the way the information is being stored, and crashes.

When we moved servers, all the software was reinstalled. We could simply delete the database and start fresh however, but we would loose the many thousands of posts here.

From David's previous posts it's a database problem, something wrong with the way the information is being stored, and crashes.

When we moved servers, all the software was reinstalled. We could simply delete the database and start fresh however, but we would loose the many thousands of posts here.
In my opinion erasing all the posts ever made since 2003 (or whenever the forum was started) isn't a good idea... unless it comes to a point where the forum is completely unusable or there's no other option.

We can't have that either really, because since this is a forum, its not just for our benefit, but people probably do run searches.

It would be nice to clear the database of names not used anymore though, to free them, because I bet we have tonnes, though theres no saying one won't decide to come back on again, like someone who made only one post.

We can't have that either really, because since this is a forum, its not just for our benefit, but people probably do run searches.

It would be nice to clear the database of names not used anymore though, to free them, because I bet we have tonnes, though theres no saying one won't decide to come back on again, like someone who made only one post.

yeah, deleting all the existing posts out of the database would be highly unorthodox. I only asked DJ Chris out of curiosity.

I think old names should be cleared though. If those people who made one post like a year ago decide to come back it shouldnt really be that much of a surprise for them to find their account has been deleted for sake of its inactivity.

Yeah thats true, and I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could make one again with the same name, since its cleared.

yeah, deleting all the existing posts out of the database would be highly unorthodox. I only asked DJ Chris out of curiosity.

I think old names should be cleared though. If those people who made one post like a year ago decide to come back it shouldnt really be that much of a surprise for them to find their account has been deleted for sake of its inactivity.
I agree. I've seen other forums that delete inactive members and members that haven't even visited the forum in a year and have less than 10 posts probably won't be so disappointed to see their accounts deleted.

Back
Top Bottom